Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Paphiopedilum wolterianum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Boytjie, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Boytjie

Boytjie Out hiking Supporting Member

I got this labeled as wolterianum, but I'm not 100% sure of the ID. The pouch doesn't look quite right, freckles instead of veins. At any rate, I've read that all of these supposedly separate species are all now being rolled into appletonianum. So, I give up. I grow it cool to intermediate, cooler and dryer in the winter.
    -Stephen
    FullSizeRender copy.jpg IMG_2046 copy.JPG

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  2. rico

rico Active Member

I'm no taxonomist, but it looks like an Appletonianum or Wolterianum to me. But anyway, great flower!

3. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

I am hesitant to say that is a pure species. The petals have very wide margins nearest the pouch which is unusual in both species/varieties. The pink is also very bright for most. The real indicator is the staminode which is hidden behind the pouch. Please take a pic of it showing the full shape. That and a whole plant shot please.

4. rico

rico Active Member

Now that you say that, it looks a little like a Paphiopedilum 'Pink Poodle' (yes, that is how it is on the tag). If you look up the flower online, it looks somewhat similar, except the petals are ruffled where they connect to the center of the flower and some color differences. I have a question, Boytjie, was this picture taken right when the flower opened? If so, has it expanded, flattened out, or changed in any way?

5. Boytjie

It opened about four days ago. I took the pic two days ago, and it hasn't changed much. From everything I'm seeing online, I'm definitely inclined to agree it's likely a hybrid.

6. rico

rico Active Member

Okay, I agree.

7. Plantman

Plantman Member

SPECIES OR HYBRID.... iT'S VERY BEAUTIFUL! have you been growing it a long time?

8. Boytjie

About six months. Thanks!

9. Boytjie

Chad, here is a flower shot after having been open for a week, and a whole plant shot. The petal margins near the center actually narrowed out quite a bit. IMG_2076.JPG IMG_2077.JPG

10. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

looks like appletonianum. you can compare to these photos here:
    https://files.nyu.edu/jlc314/public/Paph. wolterianum (2003.01).html
    http://www.asendorfer-orchideenzucht.com/assbb/paphiopedilum/paphiopedilum-wolterianum.html
    http://www.pbase.com/image/91295337
    http://www.pbase.com/nguyenlang/image/40184935
    (the last photo shows a different looking staminode but they are still similar-just not as cleft on each end and with what appears to be a slight tooth in the center)
    not that I necessarily agree that they are that different. wolterianum is supposed to be only from Cambodia, while appletoniamum has a huge range.

I personally have never seen a plant in bloom that I could or would call wolterianum. I do have a few seedlings that I imported but it will be a few years to tell for sure. I forget who from but it may have been Ten Shin or Holger Perner. (labeled appletonianum v. wolterianum)