Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Paphiopedilum with daily water?

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Raven, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Raven

Raven Active Member

I’m new to this genus, never grown any and just acquired my first three plants (armeniacum, micranthum, and rotschildianum). Good deal, $100 for three of them, all blooming size, just couldn’t resist!
    The problem is that my greenhouse gets watered daily. That’s why, 80% of my plants are mounted or in hanging baskets, and only the water-loving ones stay potted.
    Is there a way to grow Paphs with a daily water? What medium would you use? Maybe clay pots or hanging baskets? Please, help! I don’t wanna kill them...

2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I grow all of mine in LECA using the semi-hydroponic method, and have been for about 25 years of so, and I am aware of folks using baskets quite successfully, as well.

In my experience, constant moisture isn't a problem as long as the medium is very airy.

3. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I don't know the answers to your question since I don't keep them wet, especially P. armeniacum in the winter. I wouldn't say that I'm successful with P. micranthum; they stay as a single growth for years. P. armeniacum are growing better after I moved it to much colder condition, but they haven't flowered even though they are decent size now. Here is some interesting info (Dr. Tanaka's site) about Parvisepalum: Paph disease cultivation breeding flasking fertilizer

Are you growing P. rothchildianum in the same condition as those Chinese Parvisepalum? The temp. ranges in the nature appear to be quite different, so I'm not sure how they would do together.

4. Raven

Raven Active Member

Ray, thanks for the advice. I think I'll try to grow rotschildianum in Leca.
    Naoki, the greenhouse where I grow orchids is large. There is easily 10-15F temperature difference depending on where you measure it. I can grow and bloom Encyclia citrina, Rhynchostele rossii in one part of the greenhouse and Ang. sesquipedale in another. The warmer part is shadier too, so I think P. rotschildianum will do great there.
    The only species that I struggle with are true cool growers that require year round cool nights. Still, I grow and bloom a number of Dracula species that I keep very shady, wet, and airy during summer months. They stop growing when the nights are above 60-65 though.