Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Paphiopedilum philippinense

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Ricardo, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

I know, I know, I should have groomed it, staked the inflorescences and rotated the plant as the inflorescences were growing. Maybe I will do it next year. This year it produced nine inflorescences, next year I expect it to be even bigger. How embarassing, the species name in the title is wrong and I can't edit it. It has an extra l, a missing p and the wrong ending. It should read Paph. philippinense. If any moderator read this please correct it. IMG_3883.JPG

Kipper and lepetitmartien like this.
  2. Torrish

Torrish Active Member

Great plant. I would be interested to know how long you have had this? I came back from the RHS Orchid show laden down with species Paph. seedlings but suspect I have a few years of growing before I even see the start of something like this. Do you regularly re pot this or let it get crowded?

3. Boytjie

Boytjie Out hiking Supporting Member

Impressive! Great species. I've got the compact form of this, and I'm looking forward to its fist blooming, hopefully next season. -Stephen

4. Ricardo

I have it for twenty years now. It was even bigger but I took it to a wetter climate than it likes and it experienced root loss. I has bloomed every year since I brought it as a two fan of leaves plant. It likes to dry up a bit between waterings.

5. Stanhopeus

Stanhopeus Member

Great cultivation of a great plant ...

6. Pappa47

Pappa47 Member

It's a credit to u - amazing flowering - one day as I keep saying silently ....I can do the same...

Ricardo likes this.
  7. Torrish

Torrish Active Member

Thanks Ricardo. Much appreciated.

8. Ricardo

I repot this plant every two years. What I basically do is remove it from the pot, shake the decayed media away from the pot and put it in fresh bark. The root mass is massive and very hard, it would a pretty sharp saw to cut throught it.

9. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Great growing!

I just fixed your title. I've been out of town for a lecture and didn't see this until just now.

10. Ricardo

Thanks, I will make an effort to make sure the name is correctly written before hitting the posting key.

11. lepetitmartien

lepetitmartien Active Member

Congrats, and moreover on not staking it, I love natural ports of flowers. :)