Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Paphiopedilum Help...

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by ldkobzeff, Oct 24, 2012.

1. ldkobzeff

ldkobzeff Member

I was wondering how to prevent the dorsal sepal from flexing back like this?

CIMG3262.JPG

Kipper likes this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

It may be an issue of low humidity, but usually it is in the genetics of the clone and can't be changed. Some do it more than others. I don't grow many paphs, but in other genera there isn't much you can do. But that is just my opinion, others may have more input.

3. orchidnut57

orchidnut57 Member

I have grown Paphs for sometime now. And I agree with Marni on occasion we get a 'bad' plant.

4. Kermie

Kermie Tadpole Supporting Member

I grow Paphs, they probably make up half my collection (space wise anyway...:rolleyes:)
    Like others have said its most likely in the genetics of your plant -what are the parents? That will be a good indicator. Its does not necessarily make it a 'bad' plant, but we do strive to have the dorsal nice and open most often.
    If its a first bloom you can keep it around and see if it reflexes so much again...I think you can expect some reflexing from this plant however.

5. ldkobzeff

ldkobzeff Member

Yeah idk the parentage, but its an old plant (like 10+ years old.) that i got when i got my grandfathers collection. It had no tag when i got it.

6. Kermie

Kermie Tadpole Supporting Member

Have you bloomed it previously? Did it reflex then?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

7. Catasetumkid

Catasetumkid New Member

Hi! This is my first post to the group. I grow a lot of paphs, but have problems flowering some of them - which is to say, I'm a "normal" paph grower. There are several paph species that have a reflexed dorsal like this. This paph looks to me as if it has some lowii or dianthum in it, and perhaps one of the sequential flowering types like primulinum or glaucophyllym. Not sure anything can be done about the form if you have a natural recurver in it's background. My advice is to enjoy it for what it is - one that actually flowers for you! LOL!

ldkobzeff likes this.
  8. emuehlbauer

emuehlbauer New Member

When recurving is part of the species background in a paph, the recurving is at the base of the dorsal. For example, P. spicerianum. Since species with this form of dorsal are prominent in complex hybrids, many of them will have recurved dorsals. Some barbata paphs, particularly callosum, can have recurving at the top. However, recurving in the middle of the dorsal, which is the case here, is more of an individual trait. It may be due to humidity, or some other environmental condition at the time of opening, or it may be genetic. Since this is a multifloral paph, you'll get to see how the other buds open. If they all open like that, it is most likely a genetic trait, and will happen again on future blooms. If they have flatter dorsals, it was a one time thing. Also, changes can occur in the life of a bloom. many paphs look at their best in their 1st week or 2 after opening, then look less impressive as they age.