Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Paphiopedilum armeniacum - 4 flowers, 33 growths

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by tenman, May 24, 2020.

1. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

This pant garnered me a CCM two years ago with five large flowers. I had six this year, but two were very early and had begun to fade by the time these four opened. With 33 growths, I am hoping for 7-8 flowers next year if all goes well. This and Paph.micranthum put out stoloniferous growths, and after years of finding dead new growths in the bottoms of the pots, I finally wised up a few years back and put them in baskets where the extra growths have a way out to grow - and hopefully bloom.

armeniacumfourflowers0320.jpg armeniacumclose0320.jpg armeniacumplant0320.jpg

GaryYG, RustyExotics, Chris45 and 2 others like this.
  2. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Ahh yes. Very nice indeed. I did this with my Fumi’s Delight with the same hope.

3. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Awesome plant!

4. Raven

Raven Active Member

That's the way to grow it! Well done!
    How cool and dry do you keep it in winter?

5. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

I suppose it's a bit drier in the winter just because the GH is, but I keep it moist year-round. No cooler than anything else in the GH (~60'F at night, 70+ days), The secret, I was told some years ago, is a hot summer followed by cold. So, they go outside during the late spring as soon as I'm sure they're not going to get frosted, and stay out for our 95+degree summers, then stay out with the Laelia anceps, cyms, walkerianas and others, until it's going into the upper 30s.