Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Paphinia posadarum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pcolman, Feb 2, 2018.

1. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It is quite annoying to photograph/set up lighting for this thing because of the pendant flowers than point straight down.

The oxblood red flowers have been very variable in size over the past year I've had it. They've varied from 4" wide the first time it bloomed for me, to almost 6". This time is on the smaller end, a little over 4½", though it does have four spikes at the moment. I get the impression it blooms more in cooler weather, but larger flowers in warmer weather, though I could be wrong. Unfortunately, like most Stanhopeinae, the flowers are relatively short-lived, about 4-5 days. It does bloom often though, over a dozen times in the past year. The white palp-like things on the lip move around at the slightest breeze.

Growing it very moist, intermediate (it would probably prefer it warmer), bright shade.

Paphinia posadarum.jpg Paphinia posadarum flowers.jpg Paphinia posadarum flower.jpg Paphinia posadarum flower (side)tif.jpg Paphinia posadarum closeup.jpg

Marni, Pixietoe, piotrm and 4 others like this.
  2. seidenfaden

seidenfaden Well-Known Member

Interesting flowers. I wonder what the purpose is of the two protuberances one on either side at the base of the lip, and another midway on the lip?

3. pcolman

There are actually also two protruberances in the middle of the lip. If you look at the side view, you can see one points foward, the other backwards. Whatever they are, I'm sure they look very sexy to a euglossine bee.

Boytjie likes this.
  4. seidenfaden

Yes even more interesting, I see the the pair in the middle tipped with some substance or other?

5. pcolman

They appear to just be glossy—they seem dry.

6. seidenfaden

Surely it can't be just to stop the insect sliding off while it's being encouraged to alight on the lip by means of some reward or other.

7. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

love it wish could grow it, but too cold or hm always killing this kind...

8. Pixietoe

Pixietoe Active Member

Phantastic pictures of amazing flowers, so beautiful!