Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Paph. Dollgoldii

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by Candace, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Candace

Candace Kept Woman Supporting Member

I purchased this in 2002 from Paphanatics as a small seedling. It finally decided that it was big enough to bloom for me. I think it's got another spike coming. It's growing in s/h in the greenhouse and I'm happy with it's first bloom.

awww.elkgroveorchids.net_images_Dollgoldii.jpg

Edit* this is most likely Paph. Harold Koopowitz...I've got an e-mail into Norito:<

2. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It is not an easy one to bloom. Nicely done, Candace.

3. Karen

Karen Species nut

DANG! What's the leaf size? How much light.
    It's f'awesome!

4. Chris

Chris New Member

Congrats! That's a helluva wait!

5. Candace

The leaf span is 14" or so and the spike is also about 14" tall. It gets quite a bit of light. Is that scientific enough. :> Although it's a nice flower, I'm pretty bummed that it's looking like it's a H.K. as I have 2 other H.K. seedlings. I've grown several plants for years like this one and when they turn out to not be what you bargained for....Anyway, if there was a flask or label mix up on this one, I'm thinking Norito will know about it. I still want a nice Dollgoldii, sniff.

6. Karen

Karen Species nut

Well, I have a so-called P. Dolgoldii from Los Osos,
    shoot, I've had it FOREVER & it hasn't bloomed yet.
    I'm moving it into "frying" light.
    It'll bloom or burn.

7. Roy

Roy Member

Sure looks like a HK but Dolgoldi's are not all that commonly seen in flower apart from the awarded ones.

8. Candace

I haven't given it enough light to fry it, but it gets as much as my other multiflorals. I bet yours is the real thing.

9. wonderlen

wonderlen Member

Actually it's Harold Koopowitz. Sorry to dissapoint you. You can tell it by darker and more intense tessellation, and the raspberry color stimonode. malipoense is very dominant in it's stimonode color and shape. I have seen Dollgodie in show, and it's specticular. Also Dollgodie carry its' petal more horizontally than HK, and in your case, it's dropping at least 45 degree angle.

Also, you see more HK than Gloria Naugle or Dollgodie, because it's much easier to bloom than either those two. I have Dollgodie that set bud, 2 years ago but got blasted. It has since grown 3 new growths but no sign or any spike yet.

10. Candace

Umm. Yeah, that's what I've been talking about. Though, here's a Dollgoldii that looks just like it http://gonewild.net/slipper/Pdollgoldi1.jpg. So, I don't know what to believe. I'm still waiting to hear from the breeder.