Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Pabstiella/Pleurothallis pristeoglossa

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Tired, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Tired

Tired Member

[​IMG]

I just got this little guy from Tarzane Group. I know nothing about it except what the seller says. Strange thing- see how fat the leaves are? Between that, the leaf color, and the fairly thick roots, it almost reminds me of a succulent. I hold it, and I almost feel that it should be a desert plant, except for how thin the stems supporting the leaves are. A shame orchids don't like to be handled, the weight of the leaves is nice to the touch.

Anyone ever grown one? The tag says warm to cool, bright shade, and doesn't mention water. I'm sure the listing said something along the lines of "keep moist", I wouldn't have purchased it otherwise, but the listing isn't up any more. I figure I'll give it the care I'd give any other orchid shaped like that; keep it gently moist, allowed to get less moist (but never anywhere near dry) between waterings, provide high humidity and some air movement.

Fereydoon likes this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I've grown others in the genus and recently got a couple of plants of this. I would suggest intermediate temperatures if you have it, moderate light and even moisture year round. Give it dilute fertilizer. In other words, general Pleurothallid culture. I would grow it mounted if you have good humidity and potted if humidity is low. Their listing is still available here.

Fereydoon likes this.
  3. Tired

Tired Member

Good to know, thanks. I've mounted it on a cork background, in a crevice with some sphagnum moss around the roots. It should have decent humidity, and I'll watch closely to make sure it stays moist enough. I have a Lepanthopsis astrophora growing and blooming well in this same tank, which seems like a good sign for Pleurothallids getting on with the humidity.

4. Tired

Tired Member

Seems to be doing the trick. It's growing and has just finished blooming. It doesn't seem to mind being pretty heavily shaded, I don't think- other plants higher up on the wall keep shadowing it, and it seems fine enough with that. I'm acting under the assumption that, if it didn't like my conditions, it would have let me know by now instead of growing and blooming for the last three months.

The flowers are neat. They aren't what you'd call pretty to look at, they're too small to really admire the stripes, but I like the shapes. And I appreciate plants that grow a scattering of flowers on the ends of thin, delicate stems, like fireworks.

Marni likes this.
  5. Tired

Tired Member

[​IMG]

This is from March 28th, when I first noticed it was spiking. If you look, you can see there aren't many branches on each spike, just a couple apiece. The first flower opened a week later, and it just kept going. It started forking more and more, like the world's slowest firework.

[​IMG]

This is today. I keep thinking "surely you're done blooming now", and it keeps not being done. I thought it was just going to have a few flowers, but noo- it's gone and done this. It keeps forking! And I don't think it's done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A couple of close-ups. It's too bad the stripes aren't really visible without putting your face right in there.

J E and Fereydoon like this.
  6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the update!