Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Ornithocephalus sp.

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by orchidkarma, Jan 1, 2011.

1. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

Here is a fantastic little mini Ornithocephalus species. I bought it as an Ornithocephalus manabina, but it's not... any ideas? Despite its diminutive size it always puts on an amazing show, I got an impressive 22 spikes this year! I grow it mounted on cork quite close to the lights in the warm vivarium.

afarm6.static.flickr.com_5166_5275337604_68ca9b4fe4_b.jpg
    afarm6.static.flickr.com_5201_5274730595_b71f187d0e_b.jpg
    afarm6.static.flickr.com_5203_5274731187_0b322599c6_b.jpg

2. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Hooray! That display is tremendous!! :clap:

3. gnathaniel

gnathaniel Lurker Supporting Member

Beautiful, Karma, nice growing and photos! I would say this looks pretty close to my Ornithocephalus gladiatus, but a lot of these species look the same to me and I'm not sure if mine is correctly labeled either... Does yours have any fragrance? My alleged gladiatus blooms in the spring and smells mildly of cucumber.

--Nat

4. gnathaniel

5. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

Thanks a lot! :D
    Nat, I have a gladiatus that is spiking now too, I will compare the two, but the leaves look a little different I think (gladiatus leaves being "flatter" than those on this one). This one in not fragrant that I can tell. However, I think it looks like it could be Ornithocephalus dolabratus, definitely a strong contender at least!! It is the closest match I have seen so far, but I am not familiar enough with this genus to decide - and like you say, many of them are bafflingly similar. Thanks for the ideas, I think you might me on the right track there. :)

6. Kitty

Kitty AKA\Debby

lots of bang for your buck! looks great, well done! :clap:

7. gnathaniel

Glad to be of assistance! You're right about the vegetation looking different than gladiatus, my plant has longer and thinner leaves than the one in the photos, I didn't spot that before.

--Nat