Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Ornithocephalus sp. I.D help please

Discussion in 'Orchid Identification Section' started by YEAHYEAH, Jan 2, 2010.

1. YEAHYEAH

YEAHYEAH Member

Hello all, and a happy new year to ya.
    I have had this plant for a few years and it blooms regularly for me, I have someone who would like a division of it... but I would like to identify it first.
    It came to me as bicornis, but I'm not sure if that is correct, I have another plant that is labeled bicornis but it has never bloomed for me, it is growing next to this plant... I would have thought that since this plant is such a reliable bloomer, if the plant next to it was the same specie that it would have bloomed by now, but that might not mean anything. :confused:
    This is as open as these flowers get.

Thank you, Adam :)
    Ornithocephalus sp 4.jpg Ornithocephalus sp 1.jpg Ornithocephalus sp 3.crop.jpg

2. Alexis

Alexis New Member

I agree it's not bicornis. At least judging by my plant, bicornis has longer, thinner leaves, and the pure white flowers open wide. It's the only Orn. I grow, so I can't help further with the ID. But browsing through orchidspecies.com, could it be cochleariformis or kruegeri?

Yours is very well grown and bloomed, whatever it is!

3. YEAHYEAH

YEAHYEAH Member

Thanks Alexis, So far that is the closest picture of it I have seen (cochleariformis). I don't have a lot of knowledge on this genus (not that I have much knowledge on ANY genus), I mean I do not grow many of this these. Thank you for giving me a good starting point. I looked on Kew, but I found no information... they listed the name as correct but no pictures or drawings or description could be found... is it possible I am not using Kew correctly, I have not utilized Kew much in the past? That being said, you are darn fast at these I.D responses... you identified a different specie for me once before... I think you found your "calling".
    By the way all the plants that I have gotten from you in the past are all doing well, also I have been utilizing your coco tube mount thingys for some of my drier stuff... they have been working well, sure hope I don't owe you any patent moneys! :D
    Once again thank you... all of the "core" contributors of this sight are great... we lurkers really appreciate all the help!

Thanks for all the nice words on the plant... it has 39 spikes and over 600 blooms! Yee Haw!

All the best to you and yours in 2010 :)

Adam

4. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Glad to be of help, Adam. I don't use Kew often enough to give you advice, though. Unfortunately, there is not a listing for this species on my favorite culture site, orchidculture.com. That's always my first stop for info. I did find an entry here: http://orchid.unibas.ch/iconography.simplesearch.php

Glad to hear your plants are doing well, and that the coco tubes are working for you. I'll let you slide on the patent money for now. :D