Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Ornithocephalus manabina

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by orchidkarma, Jan 31, 2010.

1. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

A warm growing miniature epiphyte from Ecuador found at elevations of 200 to 500 m. The fan measures about 7 cm across and the flowers are 0,7cm. I grow mine mounted in the warm vivarium under medium light. It blooms faithfully twice a year, pretty impressive with 11 spikes this time!

Mine comes from Orchids & More and was labelled Ornithocephalus manabina, but the only photo I have seen of this species is on the IOSPE, and I do not think it looks anything like mine... If my manabina is mislabeled, does anyone have an idea of what it could be?

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2697_4318950436_134a408372_b.jpg
    afarm3.static.flickr.com_2716_4318950142_4cc141c861_b.jpg

2. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

That is a very impressive blooming.

3. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

check out O. dolabratus and see if that matches any better.

4. Dave

Dave Active Member Supporting Member

That is very cool indeed.

5. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

Thank you! :)

Hmmm... not sure if it matches O. dolabratus either... but thanks Kelly. The petals on my plant are really distinct, they look like extended wings which is quite different from other photos I have seen of both manabina and dolabratus. I have not seen this shape in any of the Ornithocephalus photos I have seen online, most have much smaller and/or rounder petals.

In any case, I think this shape of these flowers are gorgeous! So graceful. I only wish we can figure out what it is...

6. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nicely bloomed!