Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Ornithocephalus inflexus

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by ZWUM, Jul 25, 2012.

1. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

I always thought there was green in the flower maybe this is an alba??? It looked a hell of a lot nicer a week or two ago but I never got around to taking a picture.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343235033.788626.jpg

2. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not alba, Zach. This species has no green on the flower. The flower bracket is green though.
    The flowers on mine last a long time.(6 weeks now and still going strong)

3. gnathaniel

gnathaniel Lurker Supporting Member

Great plant, Zach! My plant that I'm calling cf. inflexus has a good bit of green in the flower, I'll try to photograph that aspect for comparison before the flowers fade. The spikes are also longer than I've seen on anything else ID'd as inflexus, so maybe it's something else after all? I love this genus but it confuses me! :p

4. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

True! It is a confusing genus interms of ID.
    Nat, can you post your close-up for comparision. I am posting mine here just for comparision also:
    Note, I think that touch of green will only show up on very fresh flowers. I used my Magnifying glass to see the flowers yesterday and I didn't see those green.

P1020991.JPG

5. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

Very nice! I'm with you I like green flowers of the other species in this genera, but this one has a delicate quality that I really like.

6. gnathaniel

Here's what mine looks like closer up:

IMG_3527_crop.jpg IMG_3528_crop.jpg

7. gnathaniel

Just a quick followup: based on images at the Swiss Orchid Foundation herbarium website, the lip of mine looks a lot like that of Ornith. iridifolius, though the overall shape and conformation of the flowers still look more like inflexus to me. Maybe it's a natural hybrid/intergrade of some kind???

Sorry to semi-hijack your thread, Zach! Let me know if you'd rather I put this elsewhere...

8. gnathaniel

Never mind! Some of the images for inflexus on the SOF site show it with a lip similar to mine, so probably just within the natural variation of the species. Spike length also seems on par with Tom's plant and SOF images...