Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Ornithocephalus gladiatus

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by orchidkarma, Feb 27, 2011.

1. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

A warm to intermediate growing miniature epiphyte from Grenada and down through the southern neotropical Americas. I keep it mounted in the warm vivarium, quite bright and humid, but I allow it to dry out a little bit in between waterings. The fan measures about 12 cm wide and the little flowers no more than 3 mm. I got five inflorescences on mine this time with about 20-30 flowers per sprig. I really like the white and green color combination, the jurassic shape and yes… I am a sucker for furry flowers. :D

afarm6.static.flickr.com_5092_5481303803_0ac43500e3_b.jpg
    afarm6.static.flickr.com_5176_5481304623_6e1b44b2d1_b.jpg

2. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

It's so cute. I see why you like it; everything about it is adorable.

3. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It is a lovely species but I don't think it is labeled correctly.

4. Kevin

Kevin New Member

I'm kind of a sucker for green and white flowers. Like that lots.

5. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

Thanks!! :) I love it, but I am not sure about the ID either... no photos I have seen of this species online looks the same - and none look like this either. But this is the name on the tag, from Peruflora... Anyone have an idea of what it can be? Tom?

6. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

Bravissima Orchidkarma, this is a wonderful bloom!

I agree, in my experience this is very important. My gladiatus was very similar to your but I agree, I'm not sure about ID too.

7. Kitty

Kitty AKA\Debby

very cute little guy, love this genus

8. gnathaniel

gnathaniel Lurker Supporting Member

Beautiful, Karma! I really like Ornithocephalus a lot. You do a great job photographing yours, too.

My gladiatus has some young spikes developing, when it blooms I'll try to post close-up photos for comparison. From my memory of last year's flowers they looked a little different from yours. However, I don't know if mine is correctly labeled and I'm not sure of its origin (aside from who I got it from), so the comparison may not be very illuminating...

--Nat

9. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Most likely it is O. bicornis. I don't have a good photo of my bicornis. IOSPE has two photos for O. bicornis but neither of them is O. bicornis. They are photos of two different other species IMO.
    There is a good O. bicornis photo on The New Encyclopedia of Orchids by Isobyl la Crox. Take a look if you have that book.

My second guess is O. kruegeri but I doubt that...

10. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

Thanks everyone! :) It would be nice to see comparisons, but most of all it would be awesome to get a correct ID for it. Thanks Tom. Unfortunately I do not have the book, but Ecuagenera is selling one labelled O. bicornis and the flowers are very similar to mine, but their specimen at least has a lot of yellow color, which mine do not. Perhaps that is just a variation? All in all, there seem to be a lot of discrepancies of the ID's within this genus among sellers....