Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Orchids gone wild, Den. crumenatum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Ricardo, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

Every year, in January, there is a huge party in the town of San Sebastian, Puerto Rico. I was there having fun when I noticed little orchid seedling growing on a tree in one of the town's streets. It was Dendrobium crumenatum. About fifty feet away, in the patio of a house, there was an enormous specimen plant of this species and probably it was the source of the seeds. It appears now we have a new invasive IMG_1170.JPG IMG_1173.JPG IMG_1397.JPG IMG_1398.JPG orchid species on the island.

weeand likes this.
  2. Steve B

Steve B Active Member Supporting Member

I was wondering if this could happen in warm places like Florida and California. Very interesting,Ricardo.

3. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

Spathoglottis plicata went from being isolated plant here and there to groups of hundreds of thousands. It has invaded all habitats that have enough moisture to support its growth. Den. crumenatum, with its collective blooming might go on to do the same.