Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Orchid leaf wrinkling, no apparent cause

Discussion in 'Issues, Disease and Pests' started by Rylan Lopez, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Rylan Lopez

Rylan Lopez New Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I have had a phalaenopsis orchid for around a year, and one of the top leaves is starting to wrinkle. There are plenty of roots, so I’m not sure why it would be wrinkling. It receives water too when the roots are dry. A small part of the leaf was damaged, and removed, but that hasn’t affected the leaf at all. It’s been like that for months. It’s also flowering right now, a second time.

2. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

It would help if you put your location to your profile, but do you have low relative humidity?

3. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Water in must equal water used plus water lost. If leaves are dehydrating, the transpiration losses exceed the uptake by the root system.

That can be due to insufficient watering, an insufficient or infective root system, excess drying of the leaves by the environment, as Naoki suggested, or any combination thereof.

4. judypots

judypots New Member

So interesting as I was just about to post on the same topic. I've had this Phal. (JiaHo SummerLove "Little Pixie" for a couple of years and it's rebloomed twice. The lower leaves are always a bit wrinkled as in the photo, but the plant seems to do well otherwise. It soaks up quite a bit of water once a week. Perhaps I'll try watering it twice a week?

Attached Files: