Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Oncidium onustum (Zelenkoa onusta)

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pcolman, Oct 29, 2018.

1. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I got this plant during summer of last year. It spiked shortly after that, but the tip of the spike blasted. I put out two branches lower down and both those blasted as well. This year things turned out better. Again the tip of the spike blasted, but it put out branches that branched themselves below that. Two of those growing tips also blasted. But I still have over 100 flowers in the end.

More than anything, this thing is very yellow. The largest flowers are about an 1" tall. The first one opened up over a month ago.

High light, intermediate to warm, watered almost daily year-round. It should to dry out quickly. There's no moss on the mount and it's completely wrapped in roots, the back even more so than the front.

Oncidium onustum.jpg Oncidium onustum inflorescence_01.jpg Oncidium onustum inflorescence_02.jpg Oncidium onustum_flowers_01.jpg Oncidium onustum_flowers_02.jpg Oncidium onustum closeup.jpg

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Very nice!

3. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

Dang, that is yellow. I had a friend named who passed away a few years ago who always had a yellow Oncidium that was his absolute favorite orchid. I always wonder when I see yellow Oncidium-type plants if that was the one he was talking about. If it was this plant, I don't blame him; that's a spectacular blooming!

4. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

I nestled a piece into a Ferocactus and it did well. Roots began attaching to spines and really acting natural (albeit on a cactus from the wrong part of the world).

Unfortunately, even just misting the roots and a direction away from the cactus was enough to cause it to rot.

Marni, do you know which species they grow on?

Marni likes this.
  5. Selmo

Selmo Active Member

Very lovely, most blooms I’ve seen on one, even if the tips keep blasting. You keep it watered all year long, maybe that why it is doing so well. But also could be the cause of the tip blasting. Don’t these guys go dry as they bloom in nature and rest for the dry season? Still very nice!

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I've seen them in Peru growing on shrubs and low trees in a dry area (made worse by drought). I think it is in Ecuador that they grow on cactus but I don't know what kind.

7. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Very nice. Good growing.
    I had one of these years ago and managed one blooming before I killed it. I would like to try it again. Even when not in bloom I liked the plant.

8. Alison

Alison Member

Beautiful bright yellow flowers.

9. pcolman

Regarding not giving a rest, it's my understanding that even when there's no rainfall in its natural environment, it gets a significant amount of moisture from dew at dawn. I've read that it doesn't really benefit from a long or harsh dry season. We'll see, but after over a year it has grown a tremendous number of roots and the flowering growth has a much fatter and larger pseudobulb than the previous growth (over twice the size), and the flower count is cerntainly good enough. I have given it quite high light. The leaves have been redder than this for most of the year, but they've been shaded by the flowers for a month or so, so they're greener now.

I should mention that compared to a lot of orchids, the roots are very "well behaved." It grows a lot of them, but they don't wander much and pretty much wrap around the mount. This is preferable to plants that want to grab onto everything remotely close to them and having to pry roots off of nearby mounts and pots.

10. Pixietoe

Pixietoe Active Member

That's a spectacular bloom! It makes me want to try this species again. Your description of the conditions sounds like the way I grow my Comparettia, manageable. I was under the impression that this species needs special treatment to flower, a dry or cool rest, but maybe I just didn't give it enough light.

11. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Really stunning! :clap:

12. pcolman

Not that different than Comparettia, but dryer and quite bright, at least Cattleya level.

And thanks to everyone for the kind words.