Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Oncidium ciliatum ?

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Selmo, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Selmo

Selmo Active Member

Received this as Onc. barbatum but it never blooms in the spring, always in the late fall/early winter. It also has 4-angled pseudobulbs. Small compact oncidium.

Attached Files:

2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

That would be my guess...

3. Cor van Honk

Cor van Honk New Member

I think not. Oncidium barbatum has a different color scheme. It smells strongly after cinnamon. That by itself is a give-away among the smaller Oncidiums.

Mine flowered in December in São Paulo.

IMG_1138.jpeg

4. Selmo

Selmo Active Member

Thank for the response, Cor. Your photo is of a Onc. ciliatum? Our flower has color of barbatum but blooms in our early winter (December, also) not in the spring as IOSPE states. Makes me think that it is not a true species but a variation of either one. Possibly a hybrid. Has bloomed reliably over the past years, I don’t remember a cinnamon scent but will be sniffing it this year.

5. Cor van Honk

Cor van Honk New Member

My photo is of a true Onc. barbatum species from Piracicaba in Brazil, cinnamon smell and all. Yours may well be a ciliatum, but certainly not barbatum. So if it does not give a cinnamon smell, only proof once more it is not barbatum. Sepals of barbatum are this uniform brownish color and not striped as in yours. Your stripes and spots on the lip really seem to indicate you have a ciliatum. There is one other similar to yours, but with a larger yellow lip: Onc flexuosum which is very common in Brasil and called "chuva de ouro", golden rain. That one has so many hybrids that it is almost impossible to identify on the basis of a picture. They are also much larger plants. You would need to talk to the breeder to find out the parentage.
    But if you are able to get hold of a true barbatum, do get it. It is a lovely species.

Selmo likes this.
  6. Selmo

Selmo Active Member

Thanks again, Cor. Your information is much appreciated and welcome to the forum.