Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Oeonia rosea

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by goods, Apr 2, 2016.

1. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My first encounter with this species was in the Stewart et al book Angraecoid Orchids about 10 years ago. My 14 year old self just had to have one of these wonderful red and green flowered, weirdly vining orchids. Back then, I didn't have the proper growing conditions or the knowledge and resources that I do now, so it was probably best that I never could find one available back then. About a year ago, I picked up two seed-grown Cryptopus spp. and have been successfully growing them in my terrarium since, so I felt decently confident that I could also make this one happy should I ever find one. I was speaking to the folks over at Louisiana Orchid Connection at one of our society meetings when John mentioned they were preparing to do another import of plants from Madagascar. Elated to see this species on the list, I pre-ordered one and picked it up from them a few weeks ago. Below is the result of many years of searching and hoping, and I can truly say this was one of my holy grail plants. I hope to have continued success with it and enjoy it for many years to come.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pontupo and leo like this.
  2. sam1147

sam1147 sam1147

Lovely

3. gg68

gg68 Angraecoid addict

Congratulation!!!:clap:

4. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Wonderful!!! Mine should open in a few days. Exciting.

Zach, do you have any medium over the growing roots? Are you growing yours shady? Mine came mounted with a very thin layer of coconut fiber over the old roots. All of the actively growing roots are completely exposed and I've wondered if this is optimal.

5. gg68

gg68 Angraecoid addict

Kelly, in the wild this orchid is always hung on bushes and low branches, so all its roots are always exposed!!

[​IMG]

KellyW and RadioFreeKirkwood like this.
  6. goods

Kelly, mine has the same coco fiber on the old roots but new ones I just let ramble freely. Mine is in the tank, though, so humidity is high and constant. It's getting the same light as my Lepanthes (though they have purple leaf edges) and mini Bulbos, so I'd say it's fairly shady. I haven't had this long enough to say how optimal my conditions are, but I have a Cryptopus paniculatus initiating a spike nearby. Jacob and other big time Ang growers always used to say Oeonia and Cryptopus were fairly similar in culture.

7. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Gilles, thanks for the information and in situ photo.

Zach, thanks. Sounds like we are both growing similarly except I'm in the greenhouse. Currently at 1:03 PM it is 82F and 63% RH in the greenhouse.

8. goods

Didn't think of this before but should also add that LOC was growing and blooming a bunch of them in their shade house, which gets plastic wrapped for the winter. From what I can tell, this is one of the sunnier, warmer growing spaces there.

On a related topic, this particular plant was growing there next to a wonderful plant of Microcoelia gilpinae about to burst into flower. That was a nice sight to see.

9. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

great job and congratulations. An awesome angraecoid

10. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Good work Goods!

I had a problem with mine that it grew past the mount and the exposed roots dried out. Difficult to grow for me in that aspect. I had to make it do a 180° to get back on the mount.

My Cryptopus are way easier to grow. Can I have someone's pollen? I want to see an Oeonia hybrid!