Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

New to the forum - seeking advice for newly aquired Microcoelia gilpinae & Aerangis

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Debi Hicks, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Debi Hicks

Debi Hicks New Member

I just received a few orchids from Madagascar (thanks LA Orchids). Advice on mounting the m. gilpinae?

Attached Files:

2. Raven

Raven Active Member

Mount it on cork bark or any other rough substrate with a little bit of Spanish moss under it. Keep it in a humid environment (greenhouse with misters or terrarium), water daily but it should dry our between waterings. I keep all newly acquired Microcoelia shadier than what they usually need, until they start growing again. Established plants seem to enjoy bright light (Cattleya level).
    I grow 9 species from this genus and just acquired more plants of Microcoelia gilpinae from the same source. Wish they were easier to pollinate!

3. Debi Hicks

Debi Hicks New Member

Thanks! I found a few pictures and a nice piece of long cork bark. I just wasn't sure about the long roots. Thanks for the help.

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

My experience with this and other Microcoelia is that the roots don't really attach. So I secure them at the center of the plant and let the roots hang free. I drape Spanish moss over the plant so the roots get extra humidity.