Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

New to Orchids

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Leslie Mullikin, Jan 9, 2021.

So confused......

1. Root rot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Over watering

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Leslie Mullikin

Leslie Mullikin New Member

Hello! My name is Leslie. I am NOT new to plants but new to Orchids. I have had some success but more discouraged than anything. I joined this forum to talk with REAL people. There is so much on the net, I feel like I am doing TO MUCH. I hope I get the help I need and can provide some valuable plant feedback to contribute. Thanks for having me!!

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum! If you have some problem plant(s), it is best to post some images of it and say what your question is and usually someone will address it.

3. Leslie Mullikin

Well I currently do have one that I'm really not sure if I'm having a problem with it. She has plenty of beautiful flowers and no spots or anything wrong with any of her flowers. But her Roots look terrible. I don't want to take it completely out of the pot so I have sent a few pictures of her roots and her leaves and hopefully someone can help me. She has a few droopy leaves at the bottom, some yellowing, and her roots keep dying.

Attached Files:

4. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!
    From these pictures, it has hard to see what is wrong with the roots, but my guess it is overwatered. Your medium looks deteriorated to me and it probably holds too much water. To be sure you would need to take it out of this pot and check the roots. If there are any dead roots they would need to be removed and the plant would need to be potted into fresh medium.

5. Leslie Mullikin

I am going to do that tonight! I know the roots are bad. I will make sure to sterilize everything and then get rid of the Dead roots and I will grab some photos while she is there without soil and share them with you in the morning. Hopefully from that you can let me know a little bit more about what you might think is going on

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

On the 2nd image down on the left side, I think I see something white clustered on the channel of the leaf close to the base. If there is something there, it could be mealybug. If you can look at it under some magnification or get a better shot of the base of the leaf that would be worth doing.

J E likes this.
  7. Sabinchen

Sabinchen Active Member

Hello Leslie,
    you are welcome:)
    The Substrate looks to wet and too small structure. The plant needs pieces of bark. Min. 8 to 20mm

8. J E

J E Member

It looks like the plant is in more a soil but in nature they grow on trees like air plants i would put it in a nice airy orchid bark mix

9. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Welcome, Leslie.

Expanding on Raven's comments, the first thing every orchid grower must learn is that - unlike the terrestrial plants you are used to growing - orchids do much of their gas exchange processes through their roots, and not their leaves. That means that the potting medium must not only hold moisture, if must be "open" enough to allow lots of air flow to the roots so the gas exchange is not stifled.

When that happens, usually due to water clogging all of the open spaces in a potting medium that is too dense/compact, because it's too fine to start with or has become compact with age, the roots suffocate and die.