Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

New to orchids....I'm obsessed and have purchased some tough ones! Need advice!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Marty Chandler Fitz, Mar 2, 2020.

Does anyone have experience with miltoniopsis and or maxillaria scalariformis?

This poll will close on Jun 30, 2020 at 10:01 PM.
  1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Marty Chandler Fitz

Marty Chandler Fitz New Member

I would like to know if anyone has experience with maxillaria scalariformis or militoniopsis. if so, please share.

2. Roberta

Roberta Member

First, Wecome!

I have had some success with Max. scalariformis (after a couple of failures) First, it needs to be WET. Sphaghum works well and don't let it dry out ever. Bright shade. I grow it outside in coastal southern California most of the year, but in winter I have had much more success bringing it into the greenhouse in winter until nights are around 50-55 deg F (10-13 deg C) in the spring. Andy Phillips of Andy's Orchids grows it outside all year very successfully (some winter nights are near freezing). Climate is nearly identical to mine, but when I tried to do the same they died of crown rot - twice. So I have not been able to figure out what's different in the microclimates of his nursery and my back yard. Current approach has worked for several years and I have two of them (from different sources) thriving. The contrast of the pink flowers and the dark green foliage is very striking.

Marni likes this.