Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

New to orchids (30 jewel orchids) new to forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sandiegoredneck, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Sandiegoredneck

Sandiegoredneck New Member

Hello everyone,
    a little about myself, I have twin 9yr olds boy and girl, breed guppies and just getting into orchids.

I got into jewel orchids due to working at a pet store that has only fish invertebrates and reptiles. they carry jewel orchids and I fell in love with them.

I have 9 orchid now and another 20 on order, more coming today.
    a mix of
    ludisia discolor
    ludisia sea turtle
    macodes petola

I made room on one of my fish racks to put a plastic tub as a mini green house.

I plan to purchase a hygrometer tomorrow so I can monitor humidity better. I just got the tub yesterday and my first orchid sat out for a week by my fish tank. humidity got into the %20 range. I misted leaves and kept wet. but now i see red on the lower leaves. Could it have been getting too much light from the LED fish tank light? or most likely issue with humidity and my spraying with water?

Hopefully I can avoid this on my next orchids as I have mini greenhouse ready for them.

The orchids that arrived in mail yesterday have slight yellowing on top and reddish on bottom. They all got stuck in mail so were dry. But I think will make it.

I have LED fish tank lights that are made to grow plants in fish tanks. do you think i can use these? or in this set up will orchids get enough ambient light?

picture of setup and orchid with reddish leaves. again this is only day one in tub.

ANY tips would be appreciated. I will also update when more orchids come

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    rico likes this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the great introduction.

I don’t have any recommendations for Jewel orchids. I tend to kill them.

Sandiegoredneck likes this.
  3. The Orchidomaniac

The Orchidomaniac Member

The fish lights should be enough. Jewel orchids have some of the lowest light needs of orchids. I have collected this info from others though; I haven't ever grown them myself!

Sandiegoredneck likes this.