Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

New to forum...Orchid Lover... new to growing with lots of good luck!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jan Begin, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Jan Begin

Jan Begin New Member

I took on my first Orchid a bit nervous from all the books I read, and it didn't die. So I have kept on buying them. I am up to 5 plants now. Each of the plants have been on clearance I save them from the trash and so far each of them continue to produce new growth aand new flowers none of the plants have gone into a dormant stage for more than a few months. I have one plant that has had blooms on it since the end of August it ws a double bloom I never saw nything like it I took pictures of it but it is hrd to see it. Two blooms grew than within the two blooms two more blooms started to grow as those flowers died out. it was time for the other blooms to blossom it is now December it looks like it is trying to do it again. I ws afraid it was going to die and that it was its last hurrah but a new leaf is emerging so it is still growing. I in no way am a professional just stumbled on the right place to put them and I talk to them. I water them every week or so with a week solution of orchid grow and mist them when I think about it. About once a month I take them to the sink and soak them and change the water that has accumulated in the bottom and lightly spray them with a fungus and insect control next thing I know I am enjoying a new leaf or stem getting ready to form blooms. I truly feel blessed and my family thinks I am completely nuts lol

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to OI. The reason that orchid people have orchid friends is because regular people just don't understand.

3. Brent W

Brent W Owner Staff Member

Welcome to the forums :)