Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Janina, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Janina

Janina New Member

Hello everyone,
    Thank you for allowing me to join this website. Although I have had Phals for a long time for some reason the orchid craze really hit me last summer. Of course I'm on all the websites looking at all the pretty pictures. If that wasn't bad enough the YouTube videos really have me getting into plants I never would have thought of before. I'm trying a little of a lot to see what I like and what plants I grow well. I still love my old grocery store Phals but I am now purchasing the species Phals. I have a love/hate relationship with Dems. but I think some are starting to love me back.

I look forward to seeing everyone's beautiful plants and perhaps get some advice every once in a while.

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

You have a good attitude for growing orchids. Welcome to the forum!

3. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

Welcome to the forum!

4. Janina

Janina New Member

5. Janina

Janina New Member

thank you for the welcome

6. Janina

Janina New Member

Marni, you are the very person I've been wanting to speak to. I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a flask. I just think it would be fun to watch the little babies grow. Would I be getting in over my head? Are there orchids that could bloom say in 2 years instead of 5?

7. Marni

There are orchids that will bloom in a few years out of flask. A key to success it to choose orchids that suit your conditions. What are the average minimum night temperatures and average maximum daytime temperatures where your orchids are growing. Are you growing under lights, on a windowsill, out doors? Do you know what your humidity levels are?

8. Janina

Janina New Member

I guess I'll have to wait until my patio is enclosed first. This way I'll have more of a controlled environment. Right now I'm growing all over my house.

9. Marni

Most of us started out growing all over the house. Many still do. If an enclosed patio will help let you water with a hose, life will be so much easier. Having control of the temperature and especially the humidity make growing plants just out of flask less troublesome. That said, I do have customers who are growing on windowsills.

10. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome, Janina.

Where are you located? Knowing where you are will often aid in discussions here. You can add your location to your profile. Thanks.