Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

New member... orchid lover with problem!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kay L, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Kay L

Kay L New Member

very average orchid grower... was given large phalenopsis that was drowning... I have Repotted and trimmed roots without watering. Still wet! Looks wilted... what else can I do? Thx!!

2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

A plant with a compromised root system cannot efficiently take up water, but still loses it through its leaves - hence the lack of turgidity.

When I get into such a situation, my approach is as follows:

• Soak the bare-root plant for a few hours in a KelpMax solution to accelerate the growth of new roots.
    • Pot it up and water it in with that same solution.
    • Invert a clear plastic bag over the plant and pot, but don't seal it.
    • Move it to a very warm, very shady location.
    The bag acts as a greenhouse to trap humidity around the plant, slowing the water loss. Warmth accelerates the metabolism and the shade prevents the bagged plant becoming a "broil in bag" scenario.

RustyExotics likes this.
  3. carl

carl Active Member

Provide extra humidity. Try a big, clear plastic bag over the plant, keeping the pot just barely moist. No direct sun, you'd have stewed phalaenopsis then.

4. carl

carl Active Member

Apparently great minds think alike. And respond the same time, too!

5. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Kay, when you say "still wet" are you talking about wet mushy leaves? If you are then you may have crown rot and the plant probably won't recover. Best of luck. In the future, a photo is worth a thousand words and makes it much easier for us to help you.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you stay with us.