Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

New member from North Florida

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Joanie, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Joanie

Joanie New Member

Hello! I have been playing with orchids since the late 70's, and many times when I needed to get an answer to a problem with them, I always found the answer from this forum. So after so many years of 'lurking' I have finally decided to join. :):) Since retiring, I have had a lot more time to baby them and to add to my collection. I really like Bulbophyllums and the leafless ones like Chilochistas, but I also have many other species and a few hybrids also. Whatever will grow in my hot and humid area will find a home in my collection. Right now I miss not being able to go to orchids shows.

J E, Nisanisa and KellyW like this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum!

3. Nisanisa

Nisanisa Active Member

Welcome! eager to see your collection pictures

4. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Welcome!

5. Joanie

Joanie New Member

Thank you to all of you for welcoming me! I got started in orchids just after moving to Tampa in the '70's, when I saw an ad in the newspaper for a backyard plant sale. The lady had a large orchid with a green frilly lip (Brassavola digbyana) and for some reason thought I should buy it. I told her I had never grown orchids and thought they were to much trouble, but after she explained how easy they were to grow in Fla. I went home with it. I still have it, so she must have been right!

J E likes this.
  6. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!! That is an impressive first orchid story. Not my people, including me, still have their first orchid.

7. Joanie

Joanie New Member

Thank you Darlene. It is a survivor. I would have thought it would be a larger plant by now but it only grows in one direction. And all the leafless back bulbs that I cut off never put out any new growths. Must be my bad growing habits. That is why I decided to finally join this forum.