Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

New here and need help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Marcos A Luevanos, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Marcos A Luevanos

Marcos A Luevanos New Member

Can any one please tell me what kind of orchid this is. It is growing in my aunts garden in guadalajara mexico and I want to buy one to plant here in California.

Attached Files:

2. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

It could be Laelia gouldiana or Laelia autumnalis. Me parece que son nativas del estado de Hidalgo en Mexico.

3. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome, Marcos.

Where in California would you be wanting to grow it? These are frequently grown outside in coastal southern California.

Also, you say you want to "plant" one. These are epiphytes and need to be mounted on wood/bark/tree or grown in a pot or basket with bark chips or something similar. You probably know that but I just wanted to make sure.

4. Marcos A Luevanos

Marcos A Luevanos New Member

I had no clue. My grandmother had them in her house long before she passed. My mother always liked them and she passed away on the 21st of july, last month. I wanted to grow some in her memory. How do I go about buying them? Im in southern California. I know nothing about gardening.