Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

New dendrobium with almost no viable roots...

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Irina, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Irina

Irina New Member

Hi, guys.
    I have received this dendrobium from eBay. It doesn't have much live roots. What should I do with it, pot it as is or rehabilitate ?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd contact the vendor. Unless they advertised a rootless plant, you should be able to get a refund. How does the rest of the plant look?

3. Irina

Irina New Member

Here is the rest of the plant. This is actually the second plant I have received from seller. The first one was in an even more poorly condition. So this is a replacement...

Attached Files:

4. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Irina, in general I agree with Marni. However, if the Ebay item showed a photo of the roots and you knew what you were getting then the plant belongs to you.

This looks like D. spectabile. Is it? I have made divisions of spectabile with fewer roots than that and they did great, but I didn't sell them that way. I believe that is a viable plant but not exactly something that should have been sold unless there were good photos.

If you keep the plant I recommend that you let the roots get lots of air but in a moist, humid environment. I leaned mine against the foundation of my greenhouse with the roots sitting on top of the gravel floor, watered daily, and they did well. Perhaps you could stake it upright in a pot with medium to coarse bark or LECA if you have it. Have the roots partially visible from above (lots of air). Water it daily (or as soon as the bark is dry on top). Once you get more roots taper back the watering to once per week or whatever is appropriate for your conditions. You will likely get other recommendations that differ and they will probably be just as valid. Orchids are tough plants.

Irina and Fereydoon like this.
  5. Fereydoon

Fereydoon New Member

My personal opinion is that you should mount this plant if you can and cover the healthy roots with nz sphagnum moss but keep it light. Give it high indirect sunlight + air movement. In my experience high light and air movement is the key to rehabilitate orchids. the reason i suggest you to mount this one is there is a lower chance for the plant to get worse than this compare to when you pot it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Irina likes this.
  6. Irina

Irina New Member

Thanks for taking your time to help me out, Fereydoon and KellyW. I appreciate it!
    Now I know that eBay is not to be trusted with orchids. See first pic is what I received and the last two is how it was advertised on eBay. I contacted seller telling them the orchid they sent me had no live roots at all. They sent me replacement as you have seen in my original post above. Better than the first one for sure but not great...
    I'll try your suggestions. Hopefully they work

Attached Files:

7. KellyW

There are some excellent orchid sellers on eBay but you do need to exercise caution. Look at the feedback scores and how long they have been selling, etc. Use caution when the photo is not the exact plant you are bidding on especially if it is a bare-root plant. With a little time you will figure out which ones are the reliable sellers.

8. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

I would echo that eBay itself is not the problem, but there are a few bad sellers that can ruin your day. Don't be afraid to ask the seller questions prior to bidding, particularly as Kelly says, if it is not the exact same plant in the pictures.

9. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

You can return the plant and get your money back. Ebay will back you up. If you don't complain (file a complaint) the vendor will keep doing it to others. As a vendor on ebay, this sort of thing really makes really me angry. This deserves negative feedback.

It won't be his first this month. I looked up the item and vendor and out of 96 feedback in the last month, 3 are neutral and 2 are negative. That means that over 5% of his sales didn't get positive feedback. That is someone you don't buy from.

Raven likes this.
  10. Raven

Raven Member

I've received plants fully covered with scales from the same vendor and they were insisting that scales "are not harmful, and totally ok in greenhouse conditions". Never bought from them again.

11. KellyW

I don't know who the vendor is but perhaps someone (Irina or Raven) could make a post in the "Orchid Vendor FYI" section so we will all know who this is.

12. Irina

Irina New Member

They did have positive reviews mostly

13. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

Not to stir a can of worms, but I have purchased quite a few orchids from this seller and what he sells are back bulb divisions at very cheap prices. I have never received an orchid from him that had insects or disease. His orchids are what they are. You pay very little and the plant takes longer to get established but you are in a way getting what you paid for. You just have to expect to have to give back bulbs more care to get them started. I have had good luck with every plant I purchased from him, it just takes longer...

14. Irina

Irina New Member

I posted pics of the plant asking for advice on how to rehab the plant. I know I didn't pay much but at least it should have some live roots. Otherwise the plant won't be able to survive. People who responded to my help post on rehabilitating the plant asked that I post seller info to make buyers aware. At least this way when you are making the decision to purchase from him, you make an "educated" decision so to say.