Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Neofinetia Falcata

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by rico, Jul 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. rico

rico Active Member

This plant has only one spike this year, instead of two. sorry the flowers are fading, I couldn't find the camera, or the SD card. And the pictures aren't the best. Hope you like it though.

Neofinetia F. 2014 1.jpg Neofinetia F. 2014 2.jpg Neofinetia F. 2014 3.jpg
    -rico

Kipper and John Marvin (Joe Jo) like this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Good growing. I noticed this morning that mine is in spike.

3. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

Perhaps my favorite orchid species. Is yours the larger Amami Island variety?

4. rico

rico Active Member

Actually I have no idea if it is from Amami island. probably not. It isn't that big, and it was only 12 dollars at an orchid meeting, so it probably isn't too special. Besides, it's soo old compared the rest of my collection, that I really didn't get into varieties, and clonal names back then.

5. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

It's still nice! Whenever one of mine is in bloom I'm tempted to strap it under my nose so I can be constantly smelling the fragrance

John Marvin (Joe Jo) likes this.
  6. Laura-jean

Laura-jean Member

I have
    Neofinetias Awaharibeni I have had it for a year and it is growing but i have not got any flowers yet can you give me any growing tips for this one. yours is so pretty.

7. John Marvin (Joe Jo)

John Marvin (Joe Jo) Member

Rico, I like the 3 photos of this orchid, now I will know what mine will look like when it blooms. Actually I mixed up the ID tag with a Cattleya ID tag when I re-potted some of my orchids, but now I know what it is thanks to you. I just got my Neo. 2 months ago and is maybe 6 months to a year old, when can I expect some flowers? Thanks Rico

8. MattWoelfsen

MattWoelfsen Active Member

Awaharibeni 淡針紅 is a needle-leafed Neofinetia. It flowers from the top of the plant--the apex. Awaharibeni 淡針紅 does not bloom until it has grown additional fans. How many fans does your plant have? If it has at least three, it may be large enough to bloom. You should give it winter rest which means keep it in a cool (50*F to no warmer than 70*F), bright (Cattleya) light, a place with lots of circulating fresh air, high humidity, but water sparsely--allowing the plant to completely dry out between another small dose of water.

I own this plant, and other needle-leafed Neofinetia. I enjoy this plant for its form and its uniqueness from other more regularly leafed Neofinetia, like this beautiful plant posted here. But getting this one to spike is very challenging.

9. Laura-jean

Laura-jean Member

thanks for the tips. yes mine has 3 fans now so maybe I will get flowers.

10. rico

rico Active Member

Hello John Marvin, From your description, I believe that your plant sounds too young. My Neofinetia grows very slowly. But for all I know, yours could be a very fast grower. Could you post some pictures of it, or at least some measurements? If you can post some pictures, could you put in an object for size comparison?

John Marvin (Joe Jo) likes this.
  11. John Marvin (Joe Jo)

12. John Marvin (Joe Jo)

Hello Rico, this is a Carter & Holmes Orchid photo with ID, the best I can do right now. This plant is about 2.5 inches tall, it has six 3" leafs and two new growths or shuts or keikes, I don't what you might call them, one on each side growing from the plant. One is about 3/4" tall with 4 leafs and the other is about 1&1/2" tall with six leafs about 1-2" leafs. Also, in two months it has grown very fast and has 9 long new healthy roots. I am growing this Orchid as my others, bright light, constant 80 F and 80% humidity during the day and 65 F and 80% humidity at night. I live in Phoenix, AZ with 0-10& humidity, so I have to grow them in a special way in my home. Orchids cannot grow outside here, I found that out last year when the heat & humidity killed 6 of them. Thanks for your reply!

Attached Files:

13. John Marvin (Joe Jo)

Rico, I just now figured out how to take pictures & upload them. Here are three actual photos of my Neo. which I just now took. Snapshot_20140708_2.JPG Snapshot_20140708_1.JPG Snapshot_20140708.JPG

14. rico

rico Active Member

Your plant looks very good! John, you may already know that Neofinetias like a dryer winter rest, and in my experience bloom in the early summer/late spring. But for you, It may bloom during your wet season, (if you have one). But considering also that you are growing it in the house, I would guess that it would bloom within one year. Maybe others will chime in and give their expertise, as I know little about this subject. Oh, and the new growths are called fans. P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  15. John Marvin (Joe Jo)

OK then Rico, thanks for the information and the welcome. It takes time and lots of patience growing Orchids, but it's worth it!