Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Neofinetia falcata

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Torrish, Nov 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Torrish

Torrish Active Member

I would be grateful for any suggestions on how these should be treated in the winter. I have not come across anything specific when searching old posts on this forum other than a suggestion they should be kept drier in the winter. My growing space is an east facing window with an average humidity of 64%, a day time average temperature of 68 F and night time temperature of 65 F. My spring purchased plant bloomed this summer so I hope I have got things right so far. It is potted in moss and has to date been watered with rain water twice a week and fed at each watering using Akerne's Rain Mix.

TIA

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Torrish, I don't have experience growing them indoors, but I think they are going to need a cooler temperature at night for some of the winter. Some plants that get a dry rest or a cool rest will get by with either one, some need both to bloom and some need the drop in temperature only. I still water mine some in the winter, but they do get cold. I'm sure others can add more experience with your personal situation.

3. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I grow all of mine cooler and drier for about four months(Dec. to begining of March). 50-55F is the minimum night temperature for those months, day time temperature in the 60s.
    If you can't get it down to the 50s at night inside the house, you can try it near the windows in a unheated garage(assuming you have such a garage). The plant can handle the temperature down the the low 40s-high 30s without any problem.

4. Paul Mc

Paul Mc Member

Can you define drier? Mines mounted and the sphag is always dry by evening to the touch. So I've been watering it daily, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't skip a few days now.

5. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

"Drier" for me, I water my mounted ones once a week or every 10 days; For potted ones(in bark or moss), I water them once every two weeks. During those drier months, the humidity is still 60%+ and day time temperature is in the low or mid 60s.
    I have heard some growers keep their plants even drier than that..., some growers in Japan will unpot the plants and lay them on the bench...

6. CJWatson

CJWatson Member

Agreeing with Marni, I grow my Neofinetias at fairly cool night temps in the winter. They are still outside at 38F. However, upper 30s is the minimum I will leave them out. Below that, they go into the garage for the night. I don't bring them into the house because the temperature differential is too great: from 38F to 75F, that would have to shock the plants. The garage will keep them at 50-55 during the night hours, and most days they can go back out in the sun. Seems to suit them well, lot's of new growths and they regularly bloom in the summer.

They seem to dry quickly during these cool months so I water them after the sphag has been crunchy for a day or two.

7. Torrish

Torrish Active Member

Marni, Tom-DE and CJWatson thank you all for your advice. Very much appreciated. I am now hunting around for cooler winter quarters for this one.

8. emuehlbauer

emuehlbauer New Member

I just started growing Neo's again this year...and had success when some bloomed this summer. I keep mine on an east facing window in my cool room. (Temps drop to 50's in winter, normally, but its unheated...really cold nights drop into the 40's, and in years past I have seen even the high 30's. Of course, that was many years ago.) I water them maybe 1-2 times /week. They're in sphagnum, in either net pots or in shallow Japanese mame pots. Summers I keep them in the same exposure outdoors, but they get shade from shrubs as the sun rises. They get more water in summer, of course, and more frequent fertilizer. (K-lite, 1/4 tsp/gal)

9. mini-catts

mini-catts Member

I also grow mine outside where it is cool to cold during winter. They are mostly potted in sphagnum moss. Starting in December, I keep them quite dry. Probably only mist the moss once every 2 weeks.
    In its native habitat, it is quite dry in the winter as it is the dry season in Japan. But it is on the cool side when they are dry. Definitely keep the crown of the plant dry as there is risk of rotting the terminal growth/leaf.

You can find more information at the Fukiran (neofinetia) society of America:
    www.fukiransoa.com

Pete

Marni likes this.
  10. Torrish

Torrish Active Member

emuehlbauer and mini-cats thank you for your advice. My plant is now in a cooler east facing room. I have cut the water to once a week and all seems well so far.