Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Neofinetia falcata 'Yodonomatsu'

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by orchidkarma, Apr 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

Lovely little bean leaf Neofinetia. The flowers are beautiful and it smells very nice too (coconut & vanilla). I love the rounder shape and the small hints of pink...

But does anyone know why the plant looking so sad? I bought this a few months ago and keep it with the rest of my Neos and they are all looking great, but this one has issues. I keep the warm viv at 26-28 C day (15 night), 85% RH, good air circulation, and a lot of light. I had about a week (a week ago) when the temp ran away up to about 30 C before I realized it :bang: ...and corrected it. Could the heat have caused this or what is wrong? Can I do anything about it?

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3003_4555509395_dd73a9c29b.jpg afarm3.static.flickr.com_2670_4555509757_d9bd7f3f53.jpg
    afarm4.static.flickr.com_3125_4555492743_fb646e9355_b.jpg

2. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

Cute flowers!
    I wish I had the solution to your dilemma, orchidkarma, but I have never been able to keep these alive for more then a few years at a time. I'm sure somebody here will be able to help you.

3. Alexis

Alexis New Member

I don't think it's heat. I grow a number of these, and they regularly get that warm and even warmer. If I had to guess, I'd say water stress. You have a number of new roots growing, but the older ones you inherited when you acquired the plant look worthless. I think you should keep doing what you're doing, and it will stop declining thanks to the new roots.

4. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

Thanks Mary Jane! :)

And thanks a lot Alexis, I was hoping you'd see my question. :) I think your logic is sound. So, do you think I should sacrifice the flowers on this one to let the plant recoup?

5. Alexis

Alexis New Member

That probably wouldn't be a bad idea. You might lose those yellowing bottom leaves anyway, but maybe you can save them. You will definitely be helping the plant, as it will be able to put its energy into growing more roots. There's always next year for flowers! Good luck!

6. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

Ok. I will take one last sniff on those great smelling beauties tonight then before I cut it and put it in a vase instead. Thanks Alexis. Always easier to do after hearing someone say so... ;)

7. Kitty

Kitty AKA\Debby

I'am not having much sucsess with my bean leaf either, I put it in moss a few months ago ,an attempt to revive,haven't looked at it closely for awhile. I'll take it out of the pot today and check it out. On the other hand, a couple different varigades have out growen their 4 in. pots, time to devide

8. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

Good luck with your bean leaf Kitty. This is my first bean leaf but I have a number of other Neos that are all doing great... Hope it will bounce back too.

9. Kitty

Kitty AKA\Debby

orchidkarma girl, so I took my bean out of the pot,it hasn't made any new roots, just 2 pit- a-full roots with no tips. it has 4 fans and is in spike. Don't have the heart to cut the spike, but maybe I'll mount it, the leafs look real good. I,am sending you a p.m. Kitty

10. Karen

Karen Species nut

orchidkarma, it looks to me like your plant is gettting too dry, and it is taking the energy stored in the old leaves to survive.
    My plants are all in pots, because my humidity is very low.
    It's about time for the roots to start to grow.
    Hang in there, these are very durable plants!

11. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

It is not quite clear in the photo but the plant has 3 large new roots, new since I got it 6 weeks ago, all the Neos are in full growth mode now and 3 of my 5 are in bud or blooming. The old roots on this one do look a bit dry though, I took the photo right before watering it, but they never really change appearance even after watering either. I guess it might be a bit of a transplant chock from being cultivated on the windowsill in a pot with moss to being mounted in my viv. perhaps? The viv has 85% RH and I mist the plants daily and soak them in water 2 times per week. I will make sure this one gets a bit more water and see if that helps without causing the older rootsystem problems. Thank you Karen!

12. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think daily misting caused the problem, especially during the cooler months(winter and early spring). If I were you, with that kind of humidity, I would not do the daily misting even if they are on mounts, but just water them 2-3 times a week during the growing months and keep it drier and cooler during the winter months.

13. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

Thank you Tom. I am careful with misting when the plants rest or when it is cool. I don't do it in the winter. But I have not had this plant longer than 6 weeks and then it has been pretty warm (no less than 24 daytime - I spray in the morning) and the plant has been in active growth the whole time. It has developed 3 new roots in these short weeks (one is over 10 cm long now). You still think the misting is the culprit? Are bean leaf Neos more sensitive than others?

The mounts dry out pretty good in a day with the fans going, but with the high humidity I am weary of turning the fans down... am I being silly? :rolleyes:

14. Tom-DE

Yes. Neof. falcata don't like daily watering/mist. Too much water can cause root rot and leaf rot. I have two Neof. varieties mounted on hardwood and I only water them 2-3 times a week, no misting and drier in the winter. Temperature is not much of issue for this species but good air movement is important.
    I have two or three bean leaf varieties in moss-clay pot and I don't think they are more sensitive than others. I treat them the same just like the others.

15. Alexis

Alexis New Member

I dunno if I agree, Tom. Mine, including the bean leaf you gifted me, are all mounted and all get watered daily. (Every other day when the weather is cooler.) I have experienced no root or leaf rot. Your watering schedule works for you, and may work for Karma; but I think her current problem is the result of not enough good roots as opposed to her misting schedule.

16. Tom-DE

Alexis, what I sent you last year is a pine-needle type...

It might be fine for you to water daily in FL in a shade-house, but inside a Viv. with constant high rh, it might be too much IMO.

Other info--Andy's Orchids has their plants on stick mount and according to their website, they water their plants about 3-5 times a week.

17. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

Oh dear, what a debate! :) I have not grown Neos for very long so I am still learning to "read" them. But I have been going from the advice about Neo culture on the New World Orchids website, they recommend: "Use ample water in spring and summer while the plants are in active growth and in flower, reducing quantities during cooler winter days."

Stepping back and looking at the situation though, perhaps you are both right... Check my logic here... My one Neo that I have successfully grown this way for a couple of years has nothing but pristine roots that can obviously handle the watering regimen. The new Neos I just got 6 weeks ago came out of a traditional pot with moss on windowsill (ie: a completely different type of culture) and the roots were in less than stellar shape. The new roots are looking perfect but perhaps the old roots are struggling to cope with this much water..? So, not enough good roots or too much water... pretty much the same diagnosis, right?

Soo... I will hold back on the water for the new arrivals then and water 2-3 times/wk per Tom's suggestion. Thanks guys!!

18. Alexis

Alexis New Member

You're right, Tom! I knew that, just spaced it. My bean leaf came from Seed Engai. Anyway...

Your plan sounds like a good one, Karma. FWIW, my plants are subjected to RH in the upper 80-90% in the summer. I do get away with watering more often, though, because my temps are very high. It's all about finding balance in each individual grower's conditions...

19. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

Yes... the glorious perfect balance we all strive to find in all things. Thanks!! :)