Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Neofinetia falcata var. Manjushage

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Tom-DE, Oct 12, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A weirdo among the Neof. falcata. The flower has three spurs.

P1050043.JPG P1050044.JPG P1050045.JPG

2. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

Beautiful!

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

It reminds me of fireworks.

4. Torrish

Torrish Active Member

Very cool!

5. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

Nice, some people would kill for it ;-) Not me, but... I read some time ago lots mutations going on in Neofinetia falcata... - 'wind orchid', which was already known in 1665!!! well to be honest most of those clones in cultivation are some kind of mutants, and in such long time it was collected from nature and registered plenty of different mutants. This one is actually mutant flower with two ectopic spurs growing from the inner tepals. I think very nice mutation because base of the flower is intact and having extra spurs makes it very symmetric and good looking flower. If someone is very interested in this matter drop me an email I can send very interesting article about it.

6. Tom-DE

Thanks!

I agree. Mutant flowers are not my cup of tea either but I will make an exception for Neof. falcata..., I am glad this one has turned out to be the real deal and I didn't pay $300+ per growth either.
    PS, there are some seed-prop. seedlings out there and most of them if not all will not bloom out with three spurs.

7. Tom-DE

I only have two mutant Neos in my collection and I don't mind to have that one with two lips and two spurs in the future.
    Here is my other mutant Neof.--Neofinetia falcata var Shunkyuden:

P1010169-1.jpg

8. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

Yeah, the mutants are highly prized by the neo addicts. :) Quirky, yes, but very cool.

9. orchidnut57

orchidnut57 Member

Way Cool...

10. juliann

juliann New Member

I also have neo's and as long as I like them its worth the price. right now I am have one acting up trying to find out why and what to do. You have a very nice neo no mater what and your right it looks like fireworks to me and the smell is wonderful I have 7 and I am looking for the problem for the one that one side is dark the other side is strange I want to think it may have got sun burned even tho its never been outside I do grow them under my planter that has grow bulbs, Time will tell. bye all Happy growing and Good luck to all.

11. Tom-DE

Thank you, juliann! and welcome to OI.