Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Neofinetia falcata Hisui

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Marni, Aug 12, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

After many years of not doing well with most neofinetias I seem to gotten some to grow well. I got this last fall and was very happy to see blooms.

neo.falcata.1588.hisui.jpg neo.falcata.1588.hisui.plant.stack.jpg

Jgrimm1055 likes this.
  2. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very nice. Did you change something in their culture that triggered the improvement? I have the yellow form, and it grows well but no flowers. I think my problem is a lack of sufficient temperature drop.

3. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nice variety! Mine is still a single fan plant but should be a BS plant though.

Are the flowers greener than what the photo shows?

4. Marni

I don't actually know. Most are growing better (repotting more often? less severe winter dry rest?) but some are still not. I've done well with some putting them in medium Orchiata bark in a net pot set inside a plastic pot. The roots seem to really like the space. Some I've tried the more traditional wrapping, some just in fresh moss. I've had success and failure with all of them. I do think the 50F minimum in the winter does better that 45 minimum where I had them until a couple years ago. I wish I could give something more substantial.

Tom, the close-up is pretty close to what they are. It wasn't screaming green.

5. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

May you explain to me what is it Orchiata bark?
    I use with success net pots inside a plastic pots for several vandaceous, I've never tried with neofinetias, a Vascofinetia grows well in this way.

6. Marni

Sure. Orchiata is a brand name of a bark from Australia that is now available in the US. It is a pine bark that has been "aged" (or maybe processed). It holds up very well and plants respond well to being planted in it. I grow many of my plants with a net pot nested inside a plastic one.

7. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing your culture, Marni. The one I have is mounted with roots growing up under the bark of the stick. It seems happy enough. I think I'll leave it out a little longer this winter. My lows rarely reach 50 in my winter grow area.

8. mini-catts

mini-catts Member

My collection of Neos are all grown outside here in So. Cal. In the winter they get down to low 30's. Neos do best with a dryish winter rest. I water (mist) them every 2 weeks in the winter and do not start regular watering until I see active root tips. This is usually around Feb or Mar. This is how they grow in nature where the winter is the dry season. They also grow on deciduous trees so they get more light in the winter. This year they bloomed profusely in June and July, with a few blooming now.
    Pete

orchidnut57 and Uluwehi like this.
  9. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

Thank you Marni, I've never heard of this bark before, I'll looking for it in internet!

10. Marni

Thanks, Pete. Always good to hear from someone who's plants do well.

11. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Great blooming, Marni!

Have you seen this celebratory photo of some Italian orchid growers finally receiving imported Orchiata?

Pete is a really greatNeo grower, it's great to have his advice. I also recommend this helpful and revealing culture sheet.

12. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

ok I understand.

13. Chao Hao

Chao Hao New Member

Looks so elegent! I just start to grow neofinetias, and it seems very easy to grow.