Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Need space in intermediate greenhouse

Discussion in 'Growing Areas' started by chrismende, Jul 26, 2010.

1. chrismende

chrismende Waaaay too many! Supporting Member

Hi, everyone! I'm a San Francisco resident, librarian of the SF Orchid Society and book collector (lately on orchids, of course). I'm a budding-serious Paph hobbyist with a small miscellaneous collection as well. I only have about 500 plants right now, but hope to be able to expand that number soon. I grow in my home under lights and on "windowsills" (50 plus in kitchen and another 25 or so in livingroom besides those under 6 shelves of lights on metal racking). I also have a few orchids outdoors on my 3rd fl. service porch where there is a good cool location for masdies and others. I'm scrupulous with pest control, hygiene, and sanitation and have enough knowledge to know how much I still have to learn. Luckily, though, I have many excellent mentors in SFOS and online boards.
    At this time I would like to find about 150 sq ft, with good climate control in an intermediate space. It could be smaller, but not by much. Paph culture is the major priority and I have a mixed collection of them, so it's a range. I have seedling sized multis except for two that are larger now, many parvies, some mottled leaf types and many species. I also am growing several flasks out now, but for those there doesn't need to be much space yet. They are still very small.
    My long range goal is to begin online and other selling when I'm ready. That's probably a while off - a year or so.

Thanks in advance for any tips or help locating such space!

2. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I can't really help with the greenhouse but I just wanted to say welcome to the board :)

3. chrismende

Thanks, "goods!"

4. Forrest

Forrest Really Neat

There is some space for rent over by White Oaks, I believe. Also, I think there is some space over by Hanging Gardens.

5. Aceetobe

Aceetobe Member

You might also try posting on or looking at craigslist, especially in the half moon bay area, I seem to recall people offering space from time to time.

6. chrismende

Thanks, belatedly, to those of you who responded. I'm working out a deal with someone now, and it seems it'll be a go. More details later, when I have them.

7. chrismende

I'm looking back over these posts with amusement and fondness for that me that wrote the post. I've now long since filled to overflowing the 1700 sq ft greenhouse I rented in January 2011, and am waiting for one double that size to open up in the next few months so that I can have two!(the larger will have cool and cold sections, while the current one will continue with intermediate to warm) In the meantime I have an "annex" where my overflow plants have been housed for the last several months as this process drags on. Maxed out might be the best way to put it. My original kitchen table dream has become a dense and happy reality!

8. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations on the expansion! I have visited Chris' growing space and it is filled with lots of well grown and interesting plants.

chrismende likes this.
  9. chrismende

Marni, I'm honored that you say that! Thanks so much.