Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Myrmecophila humboltii

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Ricardo, Mar 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

This South American and Caribbean species is very easy to grow in my climate and responds enthusiastically to even the most routine care. Can grow into enormous specimens if given the space. However it can also be temperamental about blooming. The flowers last only a few days. The flowers go through a cycle of opening and collapsing (they don't really close, simply the petals become limp) every day. The flower is a little bit bigger and lighter colored every day until its senescence. It likes full sun and may not bloom if grown in shade. My plants host a fierce colony of carpenter ants that makes handling the plant a challenge.
    IMG_2847.JPG IMG_2774.JPG IMG_2836.JPG

Kipper likes this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you for the post. It is totally unsuited for my conditions, but I'm happy to admire it from afar.

3. spiro K.

spiro K. Active Member

Truly beautiful in the classic "Cattleya" sense!

Ricardo likes this.
  4. gnathaniel

gnathaniel Lurker Supporting Member

Gorgeous species, Ricardo! The cool winter just did in my bigger division, but a little seedling is still going strong. Maybe I need more ants in my plants...