Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Myrmecophila albopurpurea

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by tenman, Jul 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

Myrmecophila albopurpurea, unfortunately. Purchased as Myr.thompsoniana v.minor ("with Selby ID" on the label), along with another plant labeled thompsoniana semi-alba and another labeled thompsoniana alba from Oak Hill back when they had all kinds of interesting crap in a wonderful tangled jungle at their nursery. I say 'unfortunately' because the one labeled thompsoniana semi-alba already bloomed out as albopurpurea, and I don't need a second one. Oh, well, one more for the sale list! Now I'm wondering what the 'alba' one really will be if I can ever coax it into blooming. 2" flowers on a tiny plant, whose largest growths barely reach 3" in height. About 25 growths in osmunda in a slotted 4" clay pot hung up in the most light I have, outside in the summers, grown warm. albopurpurea0714.jpg albopurpureafull0714 copy.jpg

Kipper and katrina like this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

That's beautiful, Tennis. I always thought that all of this genus had very long spikes so I have stayed away from it. Now I want one!

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Stunning!

4. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

very strange it flower in a such a small size plant, but flower is superb!