Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Mounting orchid on wild grade vine

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by DarleneJay, Aug 25, 2018.

1. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

A large patch of wild grade vine was taking over several trees in our backyard. So, we cut it down, and now I am left with a mass of thick grape vines. When I was cleaning them up, I started thinking some of the thicker pieces would make great mounting material. I have seen grape vine mount quite a few times, but I am not sure if the type of grape vine matters.

Has anyone ever tried to use wild grape vine as a mount? Also any tips on prepping your own mounts?

Thanks!

20180825_103146.jpg
    20180825_103150.jpg

Kipper likes this.
  2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I was in the same situation back in PA. Ripped the vine down, cut it into desired lengths, and let them dry out thoroughly.

I drilled a hole near one end to insert a wire hanger. You might as well strip off most of the loose bark (wear gloves), as it's going to come off soon anyway as the wood shrinks. No other prep was necessary.

3. John Klinger

John Klinger Active Member Supporting Member

I have tried it and it worked fine. Ray has the right idea of stripping the bark. The problem I encountered was the vine sent out roots. Spent some time removing the roots but finally made it work.

4. DarleneJay

Thanks John and Ray. I will give the vines a try and report back.

5. DaveH_SF

DaveH_SF Member

Andy's Orchids uses grapevine a lot. I've used it too, and also Leptospermum laevigatum (coastal tea tree) which is very similar. Orchid roots love growing into the shredding bark, which stays moist for some time after you water.

6. Maryanne

Maryanne New Member

Hello Darleen:
    I have had two different type of grape vine mounts, and in the short term they were OK, but after a while, I did not like the kind of rot that took hold. Nor the did the orchids that were mounted, I lost them. I instead have used oak, old lilac stumps, and other very hard woods that I think do better in the long run.
    The only way you can tell what you and your plants prefer is to try it, so do a test run and see what works for you and your conditions!

Happy growing
    Maryanne in WMass

7. bob

bob Member

...andy phillips (see above under dave h) told me he no longer likes grape vine 'cause it rots too fast...it was suggested to him and now it's "out"...i have several of his plants on grape vine and i'm seeing that this is true...great for a while but then.............

8. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I have found that it depends on what part of the vine you take it from. Young branches do seem to rot very quickly and aren't worth using. The root is like iron. The wood that lasts quite well is old gnarled joints that have been the pruning point for many years. There is lots of it for free in here Sonoma County that can be collect when they pile up old vines in the vineyard for burning. But I find it generally isn't worth the trouble. I have had some mounts last for 6 to 7 years, but most are rotted much to quickly and there are no guarantees. I never stripped the bark off, it persisted for me for quite a while.

9. DarleneJay

Hi All, I am going to give it a try on couple duplicates and see what happens. I won't go to crazy with it though. There are plenty of harder woods I can try.

Thanks for the feedback!!

10. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

FWIW, the plants I had on grape vine (tolumnias, mostly) were watered at least every other day and I never saw rot issues in the five or six years before I sold them off.

I suppose my monthly use of Inocucor might have played a roll in keepinght erot at bay, but who knows?