Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Mold on a Zygopetalum.

Discussion in 'Issues, Disease and Pests' started by Dennis B, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Dennis B

Dennis B New Member

Someone knocked my plant on the floor and shoveled its bark back in with dirt and doghair cause "Hey, a plants a plant!", and this happened soon after. Ive used soft remedies on what I guess is snow mold, excluding hars h chemicals and fungicide, the roots then look clear, but it keeps returning. The bark is brand new and the container is new as well as flame treated, I completely covered the roots in cinnamon and that seems to have inhibited its growth.

Id prefer a final solution over a battle with mold that doesn't appear to be winnable.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I would try Hydrogen Peroxide, 3% as it comes from the drug store.

3. Dennis B

Dennis B New Member

Ah, yes. That was one of my treatments attempted, I literally sprayed it from leaf tip to roots and let it sizzle til it was water. I suppose I could give it another try, if you have faith in that method.

4. Marni

The next thing I would try would be a 10% solution of Chlorox. Some contamination doesn't wet out easily. The addition of a few drops of Dawn dish washing liquid can help with that. If you weren't taking it out of the medium so the roots are exposed, that could help too.

5. Marni

If you do use Chlorox, let it sit for 10 minutes or so on the roots and then wash off.

6. Dennis B

Dennis B New Member

Yes, I removed all bark and put it on a tray when applying the peroxide.
    I've read on a posting somewhere that Zygos won't tolerate bleach at all so I'll save that till last. Is there maybe another method to exhaust?

7. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

In your shoes, I would do the following:

1) Dump the current medium.
    2) Rinse off the plant and roots.
    3) Remove any dead or damaged roots.
    4) Repot into fresh medium.
    5) Treat with KelpMax to stimulate more root growth, and Inocucor to correct the biological loading of the plant and medium.

8. Dennis B

Dennis B New Member

Ive got Physan Ray. Should I rinse it off with tap water or try cleaning it off in that before the Kelpmax and Inocucor?
    I only left the plant in the 2tsp/gallon solution for around 5 mins, nothing ever says how long to use it, so maybe that's why the Physan was ineffective the last time I used it.

Also
    Is a root that is rotten on the tip but healthy further up considered damaged?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  9. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I trim roots just above the point where there is damage. If, upon cutting, I see it has extended further, I just keep trimming until there is "clean" root tissue exposed. I DO NOT put cinnamon on root tips (or roots at all), as while it is a great disinfectant for open wounds, it is a tremendous desiccant that can stop further root growth or branching near the wound. Instead, I let them air dry for a day before repotting.

Physan is a topical disinfectant, so will only affect diseases at the surface. The mold you're seeing is likely an internal infection, consuming dead tissue. Physan would only be temporarily effective on the visible mold, but won't stop it altogether.

KelpMax should be unaffected, but I would avoid any combination of disinfectants like Physan with Inocucor Garden Solution, as it will kill the living microorganisms. Truthfully, since using the Inocucor product, I have abandoned all use of Physan, so my KelpMax combo recommendation is pure speculation.

10. Dennis B

Dennis B New Member

Cool, sounds like a plan. Thanks for the help Ray, Marni. Happy Newyear!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018