Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Miltoniopsis phalaenopsis

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pcolman, Apr 27, 2019.

1. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This plant is not going on the list of plants I grow very well. Leaf spotting, the occasional new growth lost to rot, the bottom edges of the lips tends to wilt/curl up. But it grows and flowers and I really do like the long lasting 2" flowers.

Miltoniopsis phalaenopsis.jpg Miltoniopsis phalaenopsis flowers.jpg Miltoniopsis phalaenopsis flower.jpg

Chris45, GaryYG and wpinnix like this.
  2. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Not a fan in general of miltonias, but this is absolutely charming

3. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

It's gorgeous! I've heard some clones are fragrant, too?

4. Piranhacon

Piranhacon Member

Since this question was not answered, I'll answer it to the best of my ability based off of past experience...

Miltoniopsis in general are fragrant. The fragrance is not very strong. It is easy to miss. Some individuals may not be fragrant while others are. This applies to Miltoniopsis phalaenopsis.

5. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

:) Thank you.
    I love miltoniopsis. I wish to be able to grow them....

6. Piranhacon

Piranhacon Member

Why not?

They're not terribly difficult to grow. It ideally should get no warmer than 80 F (26.7 C), but occasional periods of 85 F (29.4 C) is fine. They generally start suffering if the temperatures start climbing into the 90's F (32.2 C).

Miltoniopsis don't need it sopping wet. They like consistent moisture. You're better off growing Miltoniopsis drier than wetter.

7. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

:) Thank you.
    I currently have 2 : a NOID hybrid bought from a general-store 2 month ago. It was severely dehydrated and I took it hoping that I can save it.... :( I hope I will not kill it instead.
    The other one is a miltoniopsis roezlii that I have for about 2 years now and that is rather struggling instead of growing....
    What growing media would you use?

8. Piranhacon

Piranhacon Member

I've had luck with tree fern fiber. I don't water as often with these and it provides enough air circulation to the roots. Just make sure it is not too fine a grade. The potting media should drain well but still be able to hold on to moisture.

Also place under moderately bright indirect light.

Temperature range that they tolerate is 45 F to 80 F (7.2 C to 26.7 C).

Moderate relative humidity is fine (50% - 70%).

Do not grow in too large a pot. Keep moisture balance in mind. Remember, it is not sopping wet you are going for, your intention is to provide consistent moisture. Basically, not too wet, not too dry - somewhere in the middle.

If you like, provide some photos, and maybe I can see what's wrong with them.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  9. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Thank you very much. I will.