Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Miltoniopsis fungus?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AnnPaul, Aug 12, 2017.

1. AnnPaul

AnnPaul New Member

Hi All, I'm a newbie who has put her orchids outside for the summer. However, this past week in Maine, it's been rainy and cool at night. I check my darlings daily but today I noticed what I think might be big trouble. I have some Phyton 27 which I haven't used. Should I soak the plant with it? If so, for how long? Overnight? Then apply cinnamon? Folar feed with Phyton as well? Thanks for any info. I'm sick over this. image.jpg

2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

What I see is the leaves broken off of the top of the pseudobulb. If that happened due to rot, by all means, dust the wound with cinnamon. That will dry and treat the infection, and that'll likely be the end of it.

Phyton 27 is a copper-based fungicide and bactericide, but there are some orchids who do not tolerate that well, and I believe - but, having no first-hand experience using it on them, could be wrong - that miltoniopsis fall into that category.

3. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

I grow a fair number of Miltoniopsis and older leaves do break off the top of the pseudobulbs. Also a stressed plant may drop leaves rapidly in this manner. The pseudobulbs still looks green with dry tissue where the leaves broke off so not sure if there is any rot problem with the pseudobulb per say. I do see a new growth at the lower left that is pleated and that is often a sign of not enough water and low humidity or more often root loss due to overwatering. Both have the same result of not enough water getting to the leaves, causing the stunted, pleated look. Maybe a few more pictures would help.

4. AnnPaul

AnnPaul New Member

First, let me apologize for using the intro forum for the site to list a problem. Won't happen again.
    Thank you, Ray for your comments. The broken leaf occurred before I bought the plant and it had healed over. I've had the plant two months...just long enough to do damage, I'm afraid. The area that concerns me is the tiny black spots to the left of center along the leaf outside the pseudo bulb.

Thank you, Chuck, for your comments. I never thought the pleating might be do to overwatering. Makes sense, especially with our recent monsoons.

What do you think if remove it from its pot, remove the leaf with the spots, spray with diluted peroxide, then apply cinnamon, then repot?

Also, what do you recommend as a preventive product for miltoniopsis and dendrobiums? Thanks so much.

5. Chuck-NH

Hi Ann, I have little black spots like that occasionally too. Probably bacterial leaf spot. I wouldn't cut off or be alarmed unless they really start spreading. If the plant has been repotted recently then I wouldn't necessarily repot. Treating and repotting sounds like a good idea.

6. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Never put cinnamon powder on roots. It is an excellent desiccant, and will stop roots from branching and regrowing.

7. Chuck-NH

Good to know...I've never used it myself.

8. AnnPaul

AnnPaul New Member

Thank you both, Ray and Chuck, for your valued comments. The roots and potting medium looked good when I removed it from its pot. I removed the thin green membrane with the spots and the rot had not entered the pseudobulb. I covered the broken green leafy area with cinnamon and all looks well. Your help is very much appreciated.