Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Meiracyllium cutting

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by rezi, Jan 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. rezi

rezi New Member

I have a cutting of Meiracyllium trinasutum, and doesn't appear to have a leader. Will it develop a leader on it's on in time? Is there anything I can do to encourage it?

First post btw, I've spent a lot of time browsing the board but didn't see anything regarding this issue.

Thanks!

(Edited specie indentification for clarity)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Rezi, welcome to the Forum.

I only grow Meiracyllium trinasutum which is a creeping, branching species. I can't answer your question but other genera/species that readily branch will generally develop a lead if there are healthy roots and several leaves. Good luck.

3. rezi

rezi New Member

sorry is is indeed Meiracyllium trinasutum.

It does have some good roots, and four leaves. Wondering if I should cut the ragged end flush. Well it's good to know that it will eventually start a new lead, even though it may set back an already slow plant.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

It may have what is called a "live eye" or maybe not. The best thing to do is tie it onto a mount, keep it dry with an occasional misting until spring. That is when you might see something sprout. If you see any new roots starting it is time to begin increasing watering and adding fertilizer.

5. rezi

rezi New Member

That's exactly what I'll do then. Thanks so much appreciated!

6. Henry M.

Henry M. New Member

Does anybody have a source for a mature and well-established Meiracyllium trinasutum plant? I am looking to purchase one, but haven't found anything online. The one seller I found had just sold her last one when I inquired.

7. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I wonder what is the price tag for the regular color form now. I can imagine the alba form would be still high....
    Henry, are you in U.S?

8. Henry M.

Henry M. New Member

Yes, I am in the U.S, Tom. I am interested in the regular purple color, NOT the alba form. I used to collect and grow this orchid when I lived in Central America in the 70's.

I frequently travel to southern Germany so I am open to getting one there too. There seems to be a greenhouse near Munich that might have some. I also heard Gold Country Orchids may have some plants.

9. Tom-DE

It would be very expensive to just get few plants into this country "legally"....

Give H&R a call. They might have it also.

10. Henry M.

Henry M. New Member

i haven't looked into what it would take to bring in a plant, especially a bare root cutting. I guess I should inquire with customs. I would prefer to buy in the US, though. I usually travel very lightly and don't have extra room in my carry-on.

I found H&R Nyrseries in Hawaii. I'll give them a call to check. Thank you for the pointer

Henry

11. carl

carl Active Member

There at least used to be special rules for making a "baggage entry" for a limited number of plants. Don't know what they're like now...

12. Tom-DE

It is illegal to bring orchid plants into this country without required documents/permits/licenses. In the good old days, it might be no big deal but the agents are enforcing the laws strictly now.
    Just think about Phrag. kovachii incident....or you may play your luck if you are young and don't have much to lose.

13. edub9

edub9 Member

There is one on ebay right now this is the listing.

RARE Meiracyllium trinasutum var. alba Bare root SPECIES

$40 with 6 bucks shipping. Wish I could pick it up but sadly I can't.

14. Tom-DE

@ the alba variety on ebay, 3 leaves cutting for $46? I guess it still fetches good money.

@Henry: There is a nice normal color variety division on ebay for $58+9 s/h now also. Seller is in Florida.

15. rezi

rezi New Member

Tom-DE likes this.
  16. Tom-DE

I don't know anything about that FL seller, but for the price, I definitely go for the $15 one even if it may not be a big division.

17. rezi

rezi New Member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015