Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Maxillaria rolfei

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by wpinnix, Mar 24, 2020.

1. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

This is a very vigorous species for me. I grow it cool with bright afternoon sun and extra air movement. It's hard to make out the whole plant, it's kind of a lanky beast! MVIMG_20200209_125636.jpg 00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200209125700823.jpg MVIMG_20200209_125640.jpg

naoki, GaryYG, Foozil and 1 other person like this.
  2. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Hi Bill,

Nice blooming!

I had mine awarded a couple years ago and it came back as Ornithidium miniatum. Horrible name...but that’s what the SITF came back with .

RustyExotics likes this.
  3. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

Yeah, I think I was involved in that SITF discussion. To me, it's so much different than any of my miniata clones (I have 5 others) so I just follow Eric Christiansen and call it rolfei.

4. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see the differences. Mine seems to look a lot like yours and I bought it from Andy as Maxillaria rolfei. Interestingly, Kew lumps everything as Maxillaria miniata as opposed to Ornithidium miniatum that the AOS had determined. Christenson had published as M. rubropunctata in 2002 and P. Ortiz as M. rolfei in 1991, but both seem to be recognized only as synonyms.

5. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

I too hot mine from Andy's, which is the plant that Eric used for his description. I'll have to dig up my notes on this one