Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Maxillaria juergensii

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by wpinnix, Feb 22, 2016.

1. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

There is much confusion about this species. To my knowledge, this is a true juergensii; small plant with needle like leaves with a relatively large flower.
    maxillaria_jurgenii.jpg maxillaria_jurgensii.jpg

Here is a plant that I purchased as Maxillaria juergensii, which it is not. It has thick leaves, and relatively small flowers. I believe this is Maxillaria pumila.

maxillaria_pumila.jpg maxillaria_pumila2.jpg

2. Chris.c147

Chris.c147 Well-Known Member

I have a Max. juergensii and it looks exactly like the one in your first pictures. I too, have both minuta and pumila which to me look exactly the same.

3. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

Maxillaria minuta and pumila are quite similar, but the growths on this pumila are twice the size of minuta. I'll try and post a comparison shot in the next day or two.

4. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

So, i did some comparison shots, and some digging in the literature. Eric Christenson treats minuta and pumia as separate species. To me, the leaves are a bit different (not as dramatic a difference than I remembered), the lip is more sharply downturned in minuta, and the flowers of pumila are on shorter pedicels and seem to be buried in the flower bract.

However, Koehler considers minuta and pumila (and funera, pusilla, and spannagelii) as synonyms. I can see merit in both arguments.

Here is a plant comparison, pumila is in the center and two different minuta clones on either side:

maxillaria_minuta_pumila_compare.jpg

Here is a closeup of the leaves, minuta on the left, pumila on the right. The leaves of minuta seem more apiculate (sharp) and pumila are more blunt. Plus the leaves of pumila seem narrower overall.

maxillaria_minuta_pumila_compare2.jpg

Here is a closeup of the lip of minuta in profile:
    maxillaria_minuta2.jpg

And a closeup of the lip of pumila in profile:

maxillaria_pumila3.jpg

Here is a front on of minuta:
    maxillaria_minuta.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    jai likes this.
  5. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Great comparison, thank you. On your earlier post the M. juergensii has a huge flower for the plant size :clap:

On a warm sunny day like today, my M. pumila (same as yours) has a delicious and strong fragrance of cloves or mulling spices. Reminds me of Christmas.