Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Masdevallia picea

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by DarleneJay, Dec 13, 2019.

1. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

A while ago my Masdevallia angulata died, and I went looking for a new one. Andy's Orchids was at a show and recommended Masdevallia picea as an alternative because they did not have angulata there. The M. picea has grown well for me and is blooming for the first time under my care.

It is definitely cool and unique, but it smells AWFUL. You have to get close to smell it but when you do... ugh!

20191213_084012.jpg 20191213_084007.jpg 20191213_083959.jpg 20191213_083947.jpg

wpinnix and weeand like this.
  2. Gerrit

Gerrit Well-Known Member

Never took a sniff on mine. It's in bud now, think I'm going to try it when it's open.

3. Rowan

Rowan New Member

Just got one earlier this year. Do you know if it needs higher light to stimulate blooming?

4. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

These can take fairly bright light. Maybe a little less than cattleya. I am fairly certain it is a winter/ early spring bloomer.