Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Masdevallia notosibirica

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Natureman, May 11, 2016.

1. Natureman

Natureman Active Member

I just acquired two notosibirica. I was researching and discovered that they came from central Bolivia. Further researching, it's clear this wonder may be severely threatened!
    If anyone has any insight into the culture of this plant please lay it on me. I need to keep this happy and get it propagated. Thanks!

2. MattWoelfsen

MattWoelfsen Active Member

According to ISOPE:

"This miniature sized, cloud forest, cold growing, epiphytic species is found in Bolivia at elevations of 2150 to 2800 meters with slender, erect, blackish ramicauls enveloped basally by 2 to 3, tubular sheaths carrying a single, apical, erect, coriaceous, elliptical, subacute leaf that is narrowly cuneate below into the slender petiole that blooms in the spring on a slender, suberect, 1 3/4 to 2" [4 to 5 cm] long, solitary flowered inflorescence arising from low on the ramicaul with a bract above the base and a tubular floral bract that is held at or above leaf height."

It has unusual flowers. I do not grow this specific Masdevallia but I grow other Masdevallia with similar habitat. I grow mine cool to cold temperature, bright shade, high relative humidity--70 to 80%. Rain or reverse osmosis filtered water is best. Fertilizer, very weak solution. I also grow most of my Masdevallia in NZ spaghnum moss.