Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Masdevallia merinoi maybe .....

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by weeand, Sep 26, 2020.

1. weeand

weeand Well-Known Member

72CC3A1F-1237-4A08-A315-312C427D10A8.jpeg FD85FA19-5280-4F97-B6F5-35CB60B72857.jpeg F9AA239E-6A87-4668-B663-745B689B32CE.jpeg 6FBC82A4-DBB8-4BDA-9B0E-0B7DD8A61DB1.jpeg I got the species as Masdevallia amaluzae aff.
    But after I posted the following pictures in a Facebook group someone pointed out that it probably is Masdevallia merinoi from the same section, amaluzae.
    When I look for pictures to compare, they all look different from mine, but one. That one is from the Swiss Orchid foundation.
    The others are smaller flowers and have longer tails. Like Marni showed her.

I wonder I’d mine could be a M. merinoi?

J E likes this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

It is a lovely flower, but I don't think it is M. merinoi. I had to look up my image to compare because yours doesn't ring any bells. I've had mine since 2009 and Ron Parsons has been here various times over the years while it was in bloom. He always tells me when something is misidentified. I just checked Ron's Flickr, but Masdevallia isn't up yet.

The question becomes: is this a new species or a bench hybrid (pollinated spontaneously and of unknown pollen parent). You might want to check with the vendor to see if this was a collected plant or seed grown.

J E and weeand like this.
  3. weeand

weeand Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reaction, Marni. I did compare it to yours and several others and came to the same conclusion. Until I saw the picture on the Swiss Orchid Foundation.
    Swiss Orchid Foundation at the Herbarium Jany Renz

And then I thought it’s like mine. So maybe.....
    I can’t ask Ton Sijm anymore, because our Masdevallia Group doesn’t come together due to corona. And he is mentally not so strong anymore.
    I got it from Ecuagenera, so I could ask.

4. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

I wish I could help with the ID. I am just here to say it is fantastic Masdevallia whatever it is! Nicely photographed also.

J E and weeand like this.
  5. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I looked at the 3 images on Swiss Orchid Foundation and I think all of them are not M merinoi. I've sent them a note questioning the identification.

weeand likes this.
  6. weeand

weeand Well-Known Member

Well, that is odd. Being an established institute.
    Thank you very much for your help.
    It is making a spike again. When it is blooming again I will dissect it and compare it with the descriptions from Luer.

Marni likes this.