Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Masdevallia manoloi

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Chuck-NH, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

This is one of my favorite Peruvian Masdevallia species. Blooms off and on during the year and can bloom quite heavily. I do not find any issues with it other than it does not like stale media so I repot it annually.

8A52EDD1-4DAC-4E40-AB73-3146E0F49735.jpeg

6D689882-0191-4990-815F-4F9D78EC7274.jpeg

2. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

This is stunning Chuck!

3. Gerrit

Gerrit Well-Known Member

What a great Masdevallia! Never seen this one before in culture. Another one for the (endlessly growing) wish list.

4. Chuck-NH

Thank you all. I purchased this plant about 4 years ago from Peruflora.

Gerrit and wpinnix like this.
  5. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Member

:) I wish to be able to grow masdevallia, too!
    I know that they need lower temperature, but I think that growing media / watering is a problem, too - :) at least for me: mine seem to always end up with rotted roots!
    What growing media do you use?

6. Chuck-NH

Hi Dana,

For my conditions in the Northeast US, we can have some hot, humid days +30 C in the Summer (probably similar to you?). I do many things to keep Masdevallia cool (fog, evaporative cooler, strong air movement) but I also choose pots and media to help.

All of the real cool growing plants are in clay (terra cotta) pots which help cool the root zone as water evaporates from them (I also use rain water, so very little salt build up on the outside of the pot).

For media, I use a mix of New Zealand Sphagnum, tree fern fiber, Leca (expanded clay) and sponge rock. I find this mixture stays moist, but has good drainage and some evaporative cooling. Good drainage is important if there are warm/humid nights...as that is when root rot can happen fast.

This works for me and maybe not for others. I do find that I cannot grow Masdevallia in bark or bark mixes (with very few exceptions).

Chuck

7. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Member

Hi Chuck,

Thank you very much. This is very helpful to me.
    :) Yes, you are right: in Romania is also very hot (and dry) in the summer time.
    I suppose that the sponge rock and Leca are both small size? - the smallest size available in Romania is about 0.2" .
    I will keep your advises in mind. I have ordered 3 masdies for the end of this month, so it will be a good moment to experiment a better growing media than my rockwool mix.

Thank you,
    Dana