Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Masdevallia klabochorum (xanthina?)

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pcolman, Jan 9, 2019.

1. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Got this several months ago. So far, so good. I mounted it and it shortly put out new growth and later on started flowering. Flowers are about 3" wide from tip to tip. Not sure if this is considered a valid species or a variety of xanthina. It is cute though.

Growing it intermediate, shady, moist.

Masdevallia klabochorum.jpg Masdevallia klabochorum flower.jpg Masdevallia klabochorum closeup.jpg

2. Gerrit

Gerrit Well-Known Member

I like this one very much!

3. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

4. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Hi Pcolman,

Just came upon this post. This is a very nice bloom, both in shape and color. Luer’s drawing in 2002 (Icones...) does put it at a species level (unless changed since) and not as a ssp. of xanthina. The drawing does seem to have some difference in shape and photos from other sources seem to differ as well in both shape and color. The following sources show a bloom that is an alba or virtually so (no rose pigment) with more of a swept back, vertical stature rather than a horizontally dominant look. (Orchids of Columbia Vol. 6...photo Posada, Orchids Masdevallia(Zelenko)...photo A. Doucette, Swiss Orchid Foundation...photo A.P. Sijm, Ecuagenera website).

I do really like your plant...do you have any information on provenance? Whether it is or isn’t klabochorum, there does seem to be a lot of variability within the whole xanthina group of species and subspecies.

5. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I got it from Tomas Bajza. My humidity is often relatively low in winter for this, so that might be influencing the shape/direction of the petals.

6. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Really nice species!