Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Masdevallia exquisita

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pcolman, Jun 14, 2019.

1. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I traded away piece of Pleurothallis dressleri a while back, but decided to use that "credit" for a division of Masdevallia exquisita two months ago. I'd gotten a plant of this species with my ill-fated February Ecuagenera shipment. It went from 20+ leaves to zero in less than a week. This one is faring far better. It lost 2-3 leaves after getting it since it was freshly divided, but it is now growing new roots and 7 new leaves. The flower is about 2½" tall from the tips of the caudae.

So far my venture into intermediate-cool Masdevallias is going well. Aside from this species, andreettana, decumana, deformis, hartmanii, lychniphora, and tovarensis are all doing well and none is showing signs of stress. My daytime temps are already where they'll be all summer, nighttime a degree or two lower. I'm also experimenting with one more (very showy, starts with a "v") species that is even higher altitude, but shouldn't have any issue with my daytime temps, it's cool nights that are the issue. It's getting special treatment—so far so good, but too early to tell.

Masdevallia exquisita.jpg Masdevallia exquisita flower.jpg Masdevallia exquisita flower 3-4.jpg Masdevallia exquisita closeup.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

It looks like it's already loving its new home.
    May I ask you what are your day / night temperatures?

3. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Daytime summer high is 80, but probably a degree or two cooler in the shade where Masdevallias are. Nighttime summer low on the upper end of the mid-60s.

4. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Thank you. :( Much warmer than here....