Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Masdevallia caesia

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Alexey, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Masd caesia 2016 02.jpg Masd caesia 2016 01.jpg That stubborn plant just grow in my collection since 2010. Finally it's first time blooming!

EvaJ, Jgrimm1055, piotrm and 3 others like this.
  2. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

The different clones of mine are stubborn as well if it's any consolation.

Alexey likes this.
  3. Natureman

Natureman Active Member

Real nice! Seems that the best way to grow this is mounted? Can't wait to get one.

4. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

I grow one out the bottom of a net pot filled with sphagnum, and one mounted. They both grow equally as well, but the one in the net pot seems to be a bit more vigorous.

5. DaveH_SF

DaveH_SF Member

I've grown one mounted for five years, and not a single flower. Still, I keep it for it's nice pendant leaves, and keep hoping...

6. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

I had the bottom broken out of a 8" pot and filled it with moss to let it grow out the bottom. There was a little catch at the top of the pot to help water a bit more. It wasn't a success.

I divided that into two plants into 4" baskets and put them down towards the ground for cooler temperatures and less light.

I've got a different bloodline mounted on tree fern and right up against the water wall in the green house.

If all those don't work, I'll move them again. Having them bloom in a spectacular manner is something achievable I think. At least its worth trying for.

Alexey likes this.
  7. Gerrit

Gerrit Well-Known Member

I got a young plant a few months ago. Mounted on cork. Guess I shall have to be patient and enjoy seeing it grow...

8. Alexey

Growing and blooming habits make mounted-like presentation more appropriate. However, it would be extremely hard to keep plant alive on classical mount in my conditions. It grows on plastic net cage filled with sphagnum moss and Styrofoam pellets for approximately four years without changing media.

9. Alexey

Seems like my plant also prefers slightly more moist conditions than "average" Masdevallia.

10. Alexey

Not sure if that is a trigger for my plant first time bloomig, but the only difference this year was more light exposure.